Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a German Shorthair Pointer puppy

Re: Looking for a German Shorthair Pointer puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Agreed, water is where some GSP's struggle a bit, where as the pudelpointer's thrive in that element. As straight pointing dog and without the cold GSP's shine.

I've never had my PP on geese but the breeder I mentioned does it quite often and they have no issues.

I'd imagine the short hairs would really struggle with a winter water retrieve, I've got nothing to back this up though except for the fact they generally get cold very fast.

The difference between the German and English pointer is the German is a much much more versatile dog where as the English has been bread with only upland hunting in mind.
    I think it may barrel down to how big/how much your PP weighs. When my griff was under 50 pounds she struggled somewhat with geese over 10 pounds until she figured out the best method. Now that she's in the 53-54 pound range and quite a bit stronger from carrying birds she doesn't have too much difficulty at all.

She went after one cripple that ended up gliding into another field that was a good 300 yards away and she got it back with no issues.

Mike (Dutch) do ever you take your GSP out waterfowl hunting in the colder, winter weather or just Yankee?

I'm sorry but I don't see where the OP was looking for other's opinions / breed choices other than where they can find a gsp puppy...

God forbid people talk hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't see where the OP was looking for other's opinions / breed choices other than where they can find a gsp puppy...
    What he said ,

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    same two agitating arseholes... they know better than everyone else on this site.... on everything apparently, from vaccine mandates to dogs... they even know better than the OP as to what the OP wants and needs... I know a PM that does the same thing...

https://www.facebook.com/gsppuppiesforsale

I can provide a good contact to bring a pup in from the states if you can't locate one in Canada.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Thanks for the info everyone. Talked to pointer crazy and champion sporting dogs today.

I don't mind the differing gun dog opinions and find it pretty entertaining. My Chesapeake Bay retriever just passed away and I spent tons of time grouse and pheasant hunting with him. I'm sure the purists wouldn't approve my Chessie and my camo semi auto hiking for grouse and pheasants but we had great times together and had alot of success.

Thanks again everyone!

I approve of anyone hunting with a dog ,those are memories that hide in your heart forever...

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Quote Originally Posted by -LP View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Talked to pointer crazy and champion sporting dogs today.

I don't mind the differing gun dog opinions and find it pretty entertaining. My Chesapeake Bay retriever just passed away and I spent tons of time grouse and pheasant hunting with him. I'm sure the purists wouldn't approve my Chessie and my camo semi auto hiking for grouse and pheasants but we had great times together and had alot of success.

Thanks again everyone!
    If your open to an EP instead of GSP then fastforward out of Kamloops has a couple of 6 month started pups. It’s a good breeding and Chris is a great trainer, they will make fine hunting dogs.