Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Encounters

Cool Grizzly Encounters

Just curious. Since the ban on grizzly hunting in BC, does anyone have encounter stories? Are you seeing more Grizz and are they acting more aggressive than usual?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizzly Encounters

About the same where we go, nothing really different just lots of them out there so maybe the big boars are keeping the population in check in high density spots??

Yeah could be right. I am surprised since the ban I am not seeing any stories or complaints about over aggressive and more frequent encounters.

I've been going to the same spot west of Smithers every spring more or less yearly since 2008; sometimes for work, sometimes black bear hunting. I saw maybe half a dozen grizzlies total until 2017. Since then, I see 3-6 a year (probably same bear on a few occasions). I don't find them aggressive but they do seem a lot less scared of me than bears past. I also see a lot less black bears there now.

My black bear spot seen way less blacks and over 20 grizzly in 30km area
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

My son and I were on a fly in sheep hunt in region 6 for opener. We had a grizzly come right to our tent on the tundra, we started yelling when he was at 400 yards. First warning shot at 175, 3 more until he was at about 50. We had a stare down until he decided our scent wasn’t cool. He turned around and headed out of the valley. Now there was another hunter about 1 km across the valley filming it all on phone skope. The bear ran right past his tent while his dad was in it.
    Just to note I had decided to shoot this bear if he took one more step towards us. He had our wind for about 3-4 minutes and wasn’t scared.
    I don’t know much about aging bears but I would guess he was about 4-5 hrs old, and likely hadn’t been shot at before. The first warning shot was 20 yards in front of him. The last 3 were all spraying dirt and gravel in his face and it didn’t slow him down at all.
    watching a bear run at you for 5-7 minutes is a scary thing.
    WSS BC Monarch Member
    WSF Member
    BCWF Member
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Horsefly... 2 weekends in a row, 2 grizzlies at the 40 yard line. Not a major deal to me really.

Had a few close calls, my dogs saved my arse twice now while sheep hunting, one defiantly would have ended bad.

This was the last one a couple years ago, which wasn’t so bad. Felt a little under gunned between my gf and I though, all we had was a 6.5 swede and a walking stick lol. 7pm, 100 yards from the tent, sleep was very light that night.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s

The reason you dont hear about more encounters is people practicing the 3 sss.

Grizz around nicola lake between Kamloops and Merritt the past two years. Have laid eyes on four different animals, three I believe to be sows and one was a brute of a boar.

have to be careful hunting colour phase bears around that area !