Thread: Winter Wascally Wabbits

Winter Wascally Wabbits

Well, Its snowshoe hare season again. . .
    Anybody been going out for bunnies? If so, how have you been doing?
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winter Wascally Wabbits

Hoping for this weekend.
    Tight Lines

New and inexperienced hunter here.

I went out hare hunting with my boy up in hemlock valley area, around the Sasquatch ski hill.

We saw a few tracks, but didn't spot any hare.
    I have a few questions for those who've actually had success hunting snowshoe hare.

- Anything obviously wrong with this area? I've considered that maybe there just weren't enough of them; I can't tell yet.
    - I find that we can see tracks in slightly more open areas, but looking into the bush, it's just imprenetrable. Are they often within sight of the trail, or is some bushwacking typically needed?

I'd really love to bring a bunny home to put in the pot, so I'll keep at it. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ifwalking along a forestry road, have someone bushwack parralel to your direction of travel. The person thrashing around in the woods will often flush the bunnies onto the road/kill zone. If you are seeing tracks, it means they are around there.

I've actually had one follow me back to the car at sunset.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell