Thread: Hooton - The Hill To Die On

Exclamation Hooton - The Hill To Die On

The Hill To Die On

In the tiny little political world of British Columbia steelhead there is one issue that has dominated for the past decade. That would be the plight of the Interior Fraser Steelhead (IFS), now on the brink of extinction. Among the small audience that has even heard of those fish, most speak only of the Thompson River stock. Other once significant inclusions in the same science defined stock grouping, including the Bridge, Seton, Stein and Nahatlatch, are all long forgotten. Memories of the Chilcotin hang by a thread courtesy occasional mention by the Tsilqot’in First Nation. Only the Thompson and Chilcotin stocks are subject to annual population estimation efforts. Both have shown precipitous declines over the period of record. The most recent data circulated by the provincial government agency responsible for managing those stocks paints the conservation picture clearly.

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=2919
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hooton - The Hill To Die On

Very interesting article Noggin, I didn't see any mention of possible causes for the steep declines that look to have started in the late 80's early 90's. Can you point me to any articles or information as to why that has happened? As for lack of government action that should come as no surprise really. Don't expect anything different from the current Minister either, she is a bit of an ideologue with little interest in science.
    "stupid branch got in the way...."

Thx for sharing IronNoggin. Species like this need such dedicated peoples as found in the group here to stand up as they are doing to defend the Mighty Steelhead's right for existence. Most have never caught a wild Steelhead ever. The ones that have never forget. Same could be said of Big spring salmon fishing! Worth saving AT ANY COST!!! For me personally it is simply a travesty that these atrocities are allowed by our government to happen unchecked in the light of truth. I pray my grandchildren can feel the rush and excitement of the screemin reels and the power of the bent rod as the freight trains take off!! Tight lines everyone !
    RESIDENT HUNTER-"SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!"

Arrow Re: Hooton - The Hill To Die On

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Very interesting article Noggin, I didn't see any mention of possible causes for the steep declines that look to have started in the late 80's early 90's. Can you point me to any articles or information as to why that has happened?
    Good starting point would be to delve into the archives on Bob's Steelhead Voices which that article was posted in.

In a nutshell, the steelhead have taken a $hitkicking from in-river gillnet fisheries (largely chum which are timed alongside the steelhead). That, combined with water draw downs (via provincial license) have really taken their toll. Even this year when it was recognized that their populations were well below the catastrophic level, and that the chum returns were at an all time low, the FN's still hammered them both under a nod of consent from DFO.

Sadly, I honestly believe the steelhead are doomed.

And you are Bang On concerning the new minister.

Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Exclamation Re: Hooton - The Hill To Die On

Interior Fraser steelhead face extinction, fishery and conservation groups warn

Fifteen groups, including the B.C. Wildlife Federation and the Steelhead Society of B.C., have written to the federal environment and fisheries ministers urging immediate action on behalf of dwindling stocks of Interior Fraser steelhead, a variety of rainbow trout.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-bc-1.6329499

Guess he got to Know me

I think the only way forward these days is to take a page out of the FN playbook, with a huge lawsuit against the Feds and even
    Province.
    I don't know where the money would come from however.
    I am sure some of the Organizations would take the task on however.
    But I really don't see any other way.
    Paper being handed to Ottawa is not working.
    A different type of paper needs to be "Served".
    And a lawsuit such as this might serve as a template for further issues, so it wouldn't be a waste of time.
    Steelhead is probably the best example of a court challenge.
    Sockeye and other species of salmon aren't far behind, but Steelhead would be the best charge right now.

Thanks for the post Nog.
    I tried to speak to a few folks who do Documents etc.
    When trying to tell them, they just say there is plenty of those films already?????
    The people who think they are smart, just don't get it!
    The average person has no clue and quite often support issues that directly affect these issue.
    They just don't have a clue and never will.
    They worry about their kids breathing fresh air, but they don't understand the full affects of ecosystems at all.
    How it all works together.

Court is the only place left, imo.

Arrow Re: Hooton - The Hill To Die On

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Court is the only place left, imo.
    This has been discussed with several lawyers to date.
    They are willing to take the matter on, but suggest VERY Deep Pockets would be required.
    Bottom line: The gov will use your own tax dollars against you, and immediately get into the game of putting you and your case off as long as possible - that with the explicit intent to break your bank and your drive.
    At the same time they can now refuse any consultations with you (and anyone else in the case) on the basis it is an ongoing legal matter.

Much different than the FN situation.

We are facing an extremely critical pinch point right now.
    The vast majority of last year's spawn (both steel and salmon) was destroyed by the floods and related scouring last fall. The few that will swim out of the gravel and head to sea face a WALL of predators. With their reduced numbers, they will be in even graver danger than ever before. More than a few scientists fear this could actually wipe out this year's age class for the species involved in many areas. That would signal the beginning of the end for both. And that will have, as you've noted, hugely undesirable negative ramifications for the ecosystem as a whole.

But... The Minister directly refuses to discuss the matter (repeatedly) and refuses to engage with the science and those in support (despite pointed registered letters from the same). DFO Vancouver is less than useless, and continues to through up nonsensical barricades at every juncture. It appears they are quite willing to let this impending catastrophe occur while they sit on their laurels.

Compounding that has been the apathy among user groups.
    DFO is so used to that they count on it.
    And we, collectively, do not let them down.
    Time after time after effing time.
    No letter campaigns. No calls for action. No public statements nor action.
    Crickets.
    An extremely sad commentary on those who claim to care...

Nog

Guess he got to Know me

^^^^Good post.

I was talking to Jason at PA.
    It was about the Chinook earlier this year and all the political bs unsupported by science and the dna analysis etc that many guides and sportsman have been involved in " to prove the bs".
    I asked what the next action might be, and he spoke of some big wigs getting together and actaully starting a lawsuit etc.
    But since then, I havent heard much.
    I suspect it is the deep pockets issue which is the real reality.
    Unless you can find pro bono lawyers????
    I guess some that are also very passionate about salmon/steelhead.

I do agree though, the government will use are own money to fight against.
    And they will fight harder against us than they do the FN.

Would have been nice to spend 40 Billion on our Oceans and Rivers instead, and benefit everyone at the same time.
    But nope, just hand it away like its candy.