Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat Deals

Re: Meat Deals

We bought 8 of them. We cut them up and vac pack for sausage and also grind a bunch to mix with beef. It’s a bit of work but worth it as we have sausage meat for the year. Have done this for years as the sales are always at this time.

Bought a whole fresh leg plus one bone in shank piece yesterday from Save On .Boned it out and rolled and tied for fresh pork roast , made 3 nice sized roasts .Doing a bone in shank piece for dinner tonight , spiced with salt ,rosemary , apple cider vinegar and just before is done will decorate with apple slices .

Save On also had Pork Butt Steaks on sale as well as fresh belly
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Wow it is like $4.00 a pound in Williams Lake. Greedy b stards.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

We picked up a couple. I took off the shank end from this one and made a couple of small rolled roasts then I threw the rest in the Traeger, dinner for a couple of nights I think, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    Jeez, that looks horrible! Thanks for posting this article, we used to go swimming and fishing in Similkameen right down there, will avoid that area going forward!

I bought two whole legs for $44.88 they weighed 20.59kg or 45.39 pounds. For the curious I cut off the shanks (my mom likes those) then skin the leg. From both legs I got 30.5 pound of meat. From this I made a 20 pound batch of sausage (Just garlic, salt and pepper) and this made 21, one pound packs that we use to make burgers, meatloaf, chilli, pasta sauces (all mixed with game) or just fried up an eaten by itself. 7.5 pounds was left as straight ground pork as thats what my mom requested. Then 3 pounds of cubed meat for my mom also. The skin and bones got chucked. My mom and mother in-law usually kept the bones for soup but I got half a hog in the fall so we have bones from that. Usually I would buy more legs as we would cut roasts and chunks for pulled pork but that was covered by the half hog.

When you crunch the numbers it works out to $1.47 a pound for straight meat.

The wife and I commented that it used to be $.99/pound, 15 years ago when I started making sausage with her parents. Surprised with how much things have gone up the last few years that you can still get it for this price. About 8 years ago it went up to $1.29/pound for a couple years. Also one year the local store I think got to many legs and a week after the $.99 sale they had them for $.79/pound. Even though we did not need it the father-in-law and I bought a few more

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Wandered in to Quality Foods yesterday to pick up a couple odds & sods for din-sin.

They had their whole boneless pork loins on for $ 2.99 / lb.

Although we generally don't eat a lot of that, and pretty well none from the grocers, I simply could not pass that up.

Cut into 1 inch chops, they worked out to just slightly more than a buck per chop:

Cheers,
    Nog

A couple years I have seen them for $1.99 pound. We also did the chop thing plus they were quite fatty and we ground the whole thing. A lot less work and way faster then the whole legs.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

i could not get to the grocery store till the sunday of the sale in kamloops (work) they where sold out

Quality Foods has AAA Prime Rib on for $ 12.99 / lb.
    Cutting two beauties into steaks right now.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

No Frills - Whole Pork Loin $ 2.04 / lb
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me