Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howard Hill Longbow

Howard Hill Longbow

What is a 1960 or 70's 70 pound Howard Hill longbow worth... as new - hardly been used. I should have pictures shortly.

Is there a market for this?
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Howard Hill Longbow

Yes, there should be a good market, particularly in the US.
    I would be looking at a traditional archery forum for insight, and maybe advertising.

For the right model there is some value, but not worth much money. Maybe $200. I've got some vintage Howard Hill broadheads to to go with it if you want to get authentic. Post the model and serial # pus length and pounds. They're still made.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Howard Hill Archery (and Howard Hill Productions before that) had several bowyers over the years (Darling, Ekin Sr. etc.) with some bows from some being seen as more valuable than others (Kramer, Schultz). Ambush is correct in requesting the serial number. To confirm the bowyer and history just call Craig Ekin at HHA (406-363-1359) and ask him about the serial number. Really great guy, and he literally wrote the book on Hill bows.

Most four or five lam Hills from that era at that weight will be worth around $300-$400USD to a collector if the right bowyer built it. With the drive for archers to shoot lower weight bows, there is a smaller market for +55lb bows than there was fifteen years ago.
    -Just a simple minded guy with a longbow looking for fun.

Here are some pics and specifications... Maybe 100 arrows through it many years ago...

This is probably about 60 pounds at 28 inches...

Lists today for $650 US from Howard Hill Archery in Montana.
    Last edited by guntech; 01-11-2022 at 03:53 PM.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Todays longbows have much less hand shock and do not stack like the bows of yesteryear. To buy it for a piece of archery history would be awesome. To buy it to shoot not so much.

Hmmm...Looks like a Kramer signature but not the right serial number. Call Craig.
    65@29 should be about 62@28 which isn't too bad.

I will respectfully disagree with Onesock's blanket comment above, as not ASL's are poor performers, and not all RD longbows in current production are amazing. Limb timing and tillering play huge roles in ASL shootability. There definitely are some ASL's that were made over the years that are best left for kindling (Jerry Hill longbows for example) , but that can be said for quite a few new production bows as well.

Shoot a Harrison,JD Berry or a well crafted HHA bow and you will see that its not the ASL design, but the craftsmanship that determines the outcome.
    Simple fact is every field has talented people, average people, and those at the back of the curve.
    -Just a simple minded guy with a longbow looking for fun.

I believe this bow was made by the fellow who first bought Howard Hill Archery from Howard Hill... I have an inquiry into the website... I'll post their answer when I get it...

If not in a hurry to sell it , there is the North American Longbow Safari that probably will be on Vancouver Island again in the next couple of years. The majority of shooters are from the USA so a chance to sell it there to a Hill style shooter/collector for a decent price approx $400 US

It does look to be be in very good condition, that will up the value. Probably best to market it on one of the large US Trad sites.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.