Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (if a"

Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

Just wrapped up. He started by showing pictures of him with animals he'd killed. He didn't strike me as an anti-hunter or a compassionate conservationist.

IronNoggin - you concur? Did he sound like an anti-hunter? Did he sound like a compassionate conservationist?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Just wrapped up. He started by showing pictures of him with animals he'd killed. He didn't strike me as an anti-hunter or a compassionate conservationist.

IronNoggin - you concur? Did he sound like an anti-hunter? Did he sound like a compassionate conservationist?
    Listened to it as well.
    I will concur that he did not come off as an anti hunter and had some interesting points.
    Interestingly there’s a difference starting to be seen in Thinhorns between northeastern BC and the Skeena.
    Listening to Fiesta-Bianchet talk, it’s not so much hunting as an over harvest of a limited population.

He didn’t seem like an anti to me. He said hunting was not the problem in BC. Disease and lack of decent habitat is the problem.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Arrow Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

... IronNoggin - you concur? Did he sound like an anti-hunter? Did he sound like a compassionate conservationist?
    Wish I could answer...

Went to pick up a few things for dinner, and when I fired up the truck to head home the oil pressure dropped off to ZERO!
    Certainly wasn't going to run it like that!
    Towed to my Buddy's shop and we went to wrenching.
    Lucky in that it turned out to be the sending unit and not the pump.
    By the time that analysis was done and my Lady picked me up and headed home, the seminar was over.
    Damn.

I'll have to wait for the You-Tube version.
    Once I see that, I'll letcha know...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Heard the podcast, similar message to that he gave at a convention in BC 10? years ago, with a few data point updates.
    No, he's not anti- , and doesn't really draw conclusions, just states what was found in studies

Bottom line question is whether the continued change in genetics will lead to a point of reduced survival of the species
    within a thousand years

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Wish I could answer...

Went to pick up a few things for dinner, and when I fired up the truck to head home the oil pressure dropped off to ZERO!
    Certainly wasn't going to run it like that!
    Towed to my Buddy's shop and we went to wrenching.
    Lucky in that it turned out to be the sending unit and not the pump.
    By the time that analysis was done and my Lady picked me up and headed home, the seminar was over.
    Damn.

I'll have to wait for the You-Tube version.
    Once I see that, I'll letcha know...

Cheers,
    Nog

That's a repetitive problem with that truck, no? (Maybe I'm misremembering).

Anyway, it's recorded. I think there's some interesting stuff there. Lot's of graphs that generally slow me down a bit. I have increasing respect for these bios who throw data points on all kinds of graph formats and highlight things of potential importance.

Next one is back to forestry, I think.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Arrow Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

That's a repetitive problem with that truck, no? (Maybe I'm misremembering).
    Nope, that was a First for it.

Looking forward to watching. Let us know when it is up please...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

https://youtu.be/_MsfrriP7Z0

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Looking forward to watching. Let us know when it is up please...

Cheers,
    Nog

I didn't get any anti hunting sentiment.
    What I understood is what some people have been saying about selective harvests on any species.
    If you target the largest and most mature individuals, you get smaller offspring and you slowly reduce the quality and size of the herd.
    I think this is true for any animal species.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Do not think it was ever said he was anti hunting..I think it was said his science is flawed. That if adopted would impact hunting opportunities.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)