Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 96

Thread: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (if a"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,905

    BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change?"

    The next webinar in BCWF's Conservation Webinar Series, and the first of 2022 will happen January 18 at 6:00.

    Dr. Marco Festa-Bianchet will present on whether hunting can exert selective pressure on a species, and what, if anything, should be done.

    Dr. Festa-Bianchet has presented at BCWF AGMs in the past and this presentation is sure to be informative and perhaps provocative.


    You can register for the Zoom webinar here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...S2imzsf7ctLh4A

    Like post webinars, there will be a chance to ask questions.

    Last edited by Rob Chipman; 01-08-2022 at 07:23 PM.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,455

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Be very careful when dealing with this researcher.

    Do NOT trust his science or data. It does not stand up to true scrutiny.

    There is no question where his bias lies.
    There is a very strong desire within his group of colleagues to eliminate the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation in favor of Compassionate Conservation.


    "We" spent a huge amount of time, money and resources in Alberta fighting Festa-Bianchet and his students to prevent the adoption of his faulty science to our wildlife management.

    Seems he has tucked tail and is focusing on B.C as more fertile grounds to advance his personal desires to virtually eliminate hunting.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cranbrook
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    X2. So many people in BC don't seem to have followed what happened in Alberta and some of the research that was done that essentially disproves his agenda-driven narrative.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,905

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Be very careful when dealing with this researcher.

    Do NOT trust his science or data. It does not stand up to true scrutiny.

    There is no question where his bias lies.
    There is a very strong desire within his group of colleagues to eliminate the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation in favor of Compassionate Conservation.


    "We" spent a huge amount of time, money and resources in Alberta fighting Festa-Bianchet and his students to prevent the adoption of his faulty science to our wildlife management.

    Seems he has tucked tail and is focusing on B.C as more fertile grounds to advance his personal desires to virtually eliminate hunting.
    As I wrote...."perhaps provocative".

    Which is also why I've posted it here. I think we should always be careful when dealing with *any* researcher.

    More information shared means more opportunity to critique information.

    You can't critique the info if you don't hear the info and if you can't ask questions. This webinar allows anyone to register, hear the info and critique it by asking questions.

    However....rules cut both ways. If transparency, questions and critique is appropriate for the good doctor it's also appropriate for anyone disagreeing with him.

    I'm curious to know, at minimum, 4 things:

    1) who the "we" is who spent a bunch of time and energy fighting Festa-Bianchet's perspective;
    2) where is the counter science or other sort of information to show that Festa-Bianchet's science is faulty;
    3) Where is the evidence that he and his colleagues want to replace the NAMWC with compassion conservation (sidebar - does anyone think we follow the NAWCM here in BC? That'd be a fun convo, because I love the NAMWC, but I *do not* think we follow it here);
    4) Who are the colleagues in question?

    That seems like pretty important information to me. I'm not asking that Rackmastr or Walking Buffalo spill the beans here on this forum (feel free to do so if you like, but both of you seem pretty informed and intelligent so maybe a hunting forum bun toss isn't the best way to get those important answers out), but I'm a great believer in following the true information (or as close to it as you can get) to wherever it leads and then reaching the conclusion.

    WB may be right that Dr. Festa-Bianchet has some sort of personal agenda.

    BCWF's agenda is to share information widely and allow members and non-members to absorb it, evaluate it and respond to it. This is not a one-off webinar, as you all realize, but just another in the series. There were many that came before, and there will be many more that come after.

    Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...S2imzsf7ctLh4A

    Please prepare your questions and share any and all evidence for your perspective (I really want to hear both sides. The first time I heard the idea that hunters can exert evolutionary pressure that results in [smaller horns/smaller antlers/smaller whatever], which was a few years ago now, I knew it would be explosive (probably more explosive than the claim that hatcheries were a net negative and its time to replace them - try laying that on a club that has run a hatchery for decades! )
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cranbrook
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta put a lot of work and dealt a lot with Marco's genetic harm theory. I believe there was research funded in Wyoming that essentially debunked a lot of his theories. I'd have to do a bit more digging.

    There is some good conversations out there, but reach out to the Alberta wild sheep community and I'm sure you can get a TON of answers about your questions. I'm not in Alberta anymore nor the person to speak on it.

    Some good reading here as well:

    http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=278301

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,905

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta put a lot of work and dealt a lot with Marco's genetic harm theory. I believe there was research funded in Wyoming that essentially debunked a lot of his theories. I'd have to do a bit more digging.

    There is some good conversations out there, but reach out to the Alberta wild sheep community and I'm sure you can get a TON of answers about your questions. I'm not in Alberta anymore nor the person to speak on it.

    Some good reading here as well:

    http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=278301
    Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.

    I don't have the bandwidth to reach out to Alberta sheep guys. I'd love to, but only 24 hours in the day, which is why I want to crowdsource any of this. Doesn't have to be you. Anyone with solid info can share.

    Again, thanks for the link.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cranbrook
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I don't have the bandwidth to reach out to Alberta sheep guys. I'd love to, but only 24 hours in the day, which is why I want to crowdsource any of this. Doesn't have to be you. Anyone with solid info can share.
    Likely wont find it here. My post was for those who wish to take the time to be informed, thats where I'd start. Literally the time it took you to write that reply could be spent reaching out to someone on the WSFAB board and getting it first hand, but at least people who want to dig can have a good starting point there.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 01-11-2022 at 04:55 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cranbrook
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    1,905

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Likely wont find it here. My post was for those who wish to take the time to be informed, thats where I'd start. Literally the time it took you to write that reply could be spent reaching out to someone on the WSFAB board and getting it first hand, but at least people who want to dig can have a good starting point there.
    There's two links to studies there, though. Read the 7 pages of posts. Will look at the studies after. Thanks for the link in your subsequent post as well.

    Anyway, I know next to nothing about sheep so I'm not going to weigh in. Still at the bottom of that learning curve.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cranbrook
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: BCWF Webinar "When does selective hunting lead to evolutionary change and what (i

    Yep 10-4. Hopefully there's some good points brought up on the webinar. His motives seem pretty clear to me and intetesting that he's started working on BC after his attempts in Alberta didn't grow roots.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •