Thread: Cutting Carbon Arrows to length at home

Cutting Carbon Arrows to length at home

Hey what do you guys use to get a nice 90 degree cut off of your Arrows to length at home with no chipping/splitting (to hold the arrow, and make the cut)? I shoot GoldTip 300's. I used a Dremel before and it worked great, but don't have one right now. A 5" Angle Grinder with a zip cut is probably not recommended hey?
    Last edited by TheObserver; 01-08-2022 at 10:38 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cutting Carbon Arrows to length at home

The appropriate speed cutting saw or Dremel and an arrow squaring device/tool
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I use an 80 or 90 tooth carbide blade on a 10” cabinet saw. I mark what gets cut off each end of the arrow….trying to keep the straightest shaft possible (checked on an old dial indictor style roller, aluminum shaft straightener).

I always rotate the shaft to cut around the entire circumference of the shaft before finishing the cut into the center. Works very well for me. I use the mitre gage to push the shaft into the blade ensuring it is set square to the blade. Mainly because I have the cabinet saw and did not want to buy an arrow saw for a couple dozen shaft cuts every year or two.

I think “Nuts and Bolts”, a poster on Archery Talk had some plans there for the angle
    grinder cut off saw he made. Might google it.

And as a safety share, don’t breath in the carbon dust from the cut. Bad stuff….good use for a mask. My saw has a dust collector so no issue but your angle grinder zip cut won’t.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 01-08-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I use an 80 or 90 tooth carbide blade on a 10” cabinet saw. I mark what gets cut off each end of the arrow….trying to keep the straightest shaft possible (checked on an old dial indictor style roller, aluminum shaft straightener).

I always rotate the shaft to cut around the entire circumference of the shaft before finishing the cut into the center. Works very well for me. I use the mitre gage to push the shaft into the blade ensuring it is set square to the blade. Mainly because I have the cabinet saw and did not want to buy an arrow saw for a couple dozen shaft cuts every year or two.

I think “Nuts and Bolts”, a poster on Archery Talk had some plans there for the angle
    grinder cut off saw he made. Might google it.

And as a safety share, don’t breath in the carbon dust from the cut. Bad stuff….good use for a mask. My saw has a dust collector so no issue but your angle grinder zip cut won’t.
    Yeah good call only do a dozen every year-two as well.

Sounds good man thanks i'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Hey what do you guys use to get a nice 90 degree cut off of your Arrows to length at home with no chipping/splitting (to hold the arrow, and make the cut)? I shoot GoldTip 300's. I used a Dremel before and it worked great, but don't have one right now. A 5" Angle Grinder with a zip cut is probably not recommended hey?

if you're close to Mission, I'd gladly cut them for you, I have a Weston 8,000 rpm arrow saw

Thanks buddy!! just sent you a PM