Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best way to make smoked Deer Jerky and which cuts to use?

The best way to make smoked Deer Jerky and which cuts to use?

First time using a smoker, I got the Big Chief as a gift years back and am just using it for the first time now. Going to make Blacktail Jerky with Hickory then do some Sockeye with Alder.

What cuts do you guys use, and what is your favourite flavour/Method-Tips?

I seen a guy on here post some Jerky he made out of minced, it looked delicious. Can't find the thread, never thought of that idea though.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The best way to make smoked Deer Jerky and which cuts to use?

I've made jerky out of roast/steak cut thin and out of ground. To me both have their advantages. The burger is a pretty easy way to go though. You need to get a jerky gun [ caulking gun thing ] They end up looking like dog treats however. Also, I've only ever made it in my dehydrator

Any cut works.....trim off all the fat you can. Be careful with hickory, it can be over powering if you use too much smoke. i like cherry and apple for red meat and alder for fish. Google a recipe or go with a hi mountain package it's all good, stick with some smaller batches till you get the hang of the cook times.
    Another tip for the big and little cheif smokers is to rotate the racks as the heat can vary.

I’ve stopped smoking both Jerky and Pepperoini, rather just brine the jerky cuts ~36hrs and dehydrate. Must cleaner and quicker.

Use nice cuts with game for Jerky (blade roasts, flank steaks might be good not much fat on those), trim fat! I would still brine and to for a pedicle for the smoking to adhere to

The burger must be pretty tender/fall apart in the mouth.

Thanks for the tip for switching the racks!

A dehydrator I have been wanting to pick up for a while heard they are good for Jerky

Check out the Jerkyholic website. Has a ton of great recipes and procedures.

I prefer to use round(inside/outside) whatever. I’m not sure on the difference, but they seem to be the leanest and easiest to cut up. Try and get them a uniform thickness and don’t oversmoke them. I use the cabelas seasoning with apple in a charcoal grill. I also try and get as much of the silver skin and gristle out of it because I find it hold some unwanted flavour. It’s good to mess around with the smoker/oven/dehydrator. I definitely don’t like my jerky dried right out, especially the ground stuff. I usually smoke for an hour and then the oven and maybe a short trip on the dehydrator to get a bit more moisture out. My buddy who I was doing it with this morning picked up a big bacon pan with a rack on it for going in the oven from Costco. It works well in the oven.

I have some ground moose/beef on the smoker right now with cabelas original. We did 5 pounds of teriyaki muscle jerky that I’ll smoke the day after tomorrow and we had about two pounds left over that we ground up. We went to the store to top it up with 3 pounds of beef, but couldn’t find beef for less than $10/pound so it got two pounds of some old packs that were $4 off.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    First time using a smoker, I got the Big Chief as a gift years back and am just using it for the first time now. Going to make Blacktail Jerky with Hickory then do some Sockeye with Alder.

I seen a guy on here post some Jerky he made out of minced, it looked delicious. Can't find the thread, never thought of that idea though.
    Where did you get sockeye from?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post

Where did you get sockeye from?

me personally,,,,i eat a ton of jerky and share a ton,,,,,,,,so when i butcher any of my deer,,,,,,both front sholders go in freezer for jerky for starts,,,no questions asked,,,,,,then as months go on i decide for further use (cuts of meat),,,,,,marinade for 24 hours,,,,,,,put in smoker for 4-4 1/2 hours,,,,,,with 1/4 inch slices
    Last edited by B-rad; 01-17-2022 at 05:08 PM.
    Aim small,,miss small