Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alpine/sub alpine mule deer hunting options near Kamloops

Re: Alpine/sub alpine mule deer hunting options near Kamloops

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Shulaps, Yalacom, 9 mile, Spruce lk., Pinrose, Eldorado. All reg 3 and some big deer
    One thing I noticed about the Shulaps Range hunting is that it is closd to motor vehicles at the 1920 metre level, right where it started to get interesting. I don't mind, we camped at that elevation and hiked uphill on an old mine road from there, but the elevation restriction didn't seem to bother other hunters in trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    There is the marble range over by clinton or a bit further to lillooeet finds some nice alpine
    Marbles are great, and I love 'em, but for real alpine it's tough to get high enough in my opinion. A lotta times there's trees right up until it's bare karst.

Edge hills, on the west side of the Jesmond Road, can get you into some open grass with tree groves, but I think that's more of a moisture function than an elevation function.

I'd head straight to Cache Creek, hang a right, hang a left at the Lillooet cut-off and cross the river and head up the east slope of the mountains, or, if the ferry is open, cross at Big Bar. They're higher and you'll get real alpine.

Mandatory disclaimer: The Marbles suck. Don't go. You won't like it. They're steep, there's too many people there already, and there's nothing to hunt.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Was up in the Yalakom or Shulaps 40 some years ago thought it was awesome . We followed a horse trail up to above tree line . No idea what it’s like now or how to even get there I think we accessed it from around Lillooet ? I’d like to get back up there one day before I can’t physically

Is the Yalakom and Shulaps a different set of mountains ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I’m going to be busy this summer getting some boots on the ground to find an area that holds deer and is suitable for my dads limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by interior View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I’m going to be busy this summer getting some boots on the ground to find an area that holds deer and is suitable for my dads limitations.
    I will tell you a little trick. All i ever hunt is the alpine and used post pics every year. The pics must be somewhere on the site here.
    Anyways. Something i used to do was look on Google earth or some other site with a decent zoom. True alpine for you will be region 3 west of the fraser. Every mountain has a trail to the top somewhere.

When looking at the alpine bowl zoom in as much as you can and you should actually be able to see game trails. Its easier in the rocks above the vegetation but the deer are up there where the goats begin. If you see game trails then there are animals. If i could post a pic i would show you.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I will tell you a little trick. All i ever hunt is the alpine and used post pics every year. The pics must be somewhere on the site here.
    Anyways. Something i used to do was look on Google earth or some other site with a decent zoom. True alpine for you will be region 3 west of the fraser. Every mountain has a trail to the top somewhere.

When looking at the alpine bowl zoom in as much as you can and you should actually be able to see game trails. Its easier in the rocks above the vegetation but the deer are up there where the goats begin. If you see game trails then there are animals. If i could post a pic i would show you.
    I've done this too and climbed for hours to find the trails to be marmot trails. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Was up in the Yalakom or Shulaps 40 some years ago thought it was awesome . We followed a horse trail up to above tree line . No idea what it’s like now or how to even get there I think we accessed it from around Lillooet ? I’d like to get back up there one day before I can’t physically

Is the Yalakom and Shulaps a different set of mountains ?
    Arctic Lake
    Yalakom river run out the valley along the base of the shulap range, so its an area, not a mountain range. People including myself have called the shulaps the yalakoms!

A area to check out would be the silvercup area above trout lk. Access is fairly easy up american creek or up copper queen. Mountain meadow above cooper creek ( near the duncan dam)is another area with easy access.

Yalakom river run out the valley along the base of the shulap range, so its an area, not a mountain range. People including myself have called the shulaps the yalakoms!
    Shulaps Range west of Yalakom River and Camelsfoot Range east of the Yalakom.

Thank You ! I’m going to get my arse up there before I can’t
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 01-10-2022 at 11:10 AM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !