Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine/sub alpine mule deer hunting options near Kamloops

Hybrid View

Alpine/sub alpine mule deer hunting options near Kamloops

Hey everyone,

My dad is getting older and has started to have some health issues but he wants to go for an alpine mule deer hunt with me before it’s too much for him. I’ll get out during summer to scout but I’m in a bit over my head trying to figure everything out. I’ve done a ton of research on hunting higher up but at the end of the day I’ve only ever hunted and hiked through cut blocks lower down. My dad is still able bodied and can hike but he’d definitely need to be able to come back to a base camp at the end of the day to relax. I’m not looking for any honey holes - just for some suggestions of areas where we could drive in and hike 1 or 2 hours to hunt then hike back down to the trucks/campers at the end of the day. I’m sure this isn’t “true” alpine hunting but I’m just trying to make some memories with my dad without pushing him too far. I’ve found some mountain ranges in the Adam’s/Shuswap area but again - I’m completely new to this and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to look? PM’s are welcome.

Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine/sub alpine mule deer hunting options near Kamloops

There is the marble range over by clinton or a bit further to lillooeet finds some nice alpine

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    There is the marble range over by clinton or a bit further to lillooeet finds some nice alpine
    Marbles are great, and I love 'em, but for real alpine it's tough to get high enough in my opinion. A lotta times there's trees right up until it's bare karst.

Edge hills, on the west side of the Jesmond Road, can get you into some open grass with tree groves, but I think that's more of a moisture function than an elevation function.

I'd head straight to Cache Creek, hang a right, hang a left at the Lillooet cut-off and cross the river and head up the east slope of the mountains, or, if the ferry is open, cross at Big Bar. They're higher and you'll get real alpine.

Mandatory disclaimer: The Marbles suck. Don't go. You won't like it. They're steep, there's too many people there already, and there's nothing to hunt.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

what defines an alpine mule deer hunt? is it a specific elevation you're at? Or does the vegetation stay low and not get overgrown? Sorry, I'm a new hunter here.

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    what defines an alpine mule deer hunt? is it a specific elevation you're at? Or does the vegetation stay low and not get overgrown? Sorry, I'm a new hunter here.
    To me it is when the Subalpine forest turns to Alpine in the High country, the country opens up and the trees start to thin out grow in clusters/patches then stop growing and the mountain goes bald. Not necessarily a certain elevation

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    Generally about 5500 feet in Southern BC is where your alpine or sub alpine begins, this is just from my hunting experience but could be different a little further north.

This is where the trees start to thin out into small clusters or patches and generally are stunted.
    This is region 8 as twoseveno points out below region 3 is quite different than some region 8 alpine
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-05-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Kamloops isn't the best. Lillooet, gold Bridge be much better. Southern region 8 as well has some nice mountains, but big difference between reg 3 alpine and reg 8.

Quote Originally Posted by interior View Post
    Hey everyone,

My dad is getting older and has started to have some health issues but he wants to go for an alpine mule deer hunt with me before it’s too much for him. I’ll get out during summer to scout but I’m in a bit over my head trying to figure everything out. I’ve done a ton of research on hunting higher up but at the end of the day I’ve only ever hunted and hiked through cut blocks lower down. My dad is still able bodied and can hike but he’d definitely need to be able to come back to a base camp at the end of the day to relax. I’m not looking for any honey holes - just for some suggestions of areas where we could drive in and hike 1 or 2 hours to hunt then hike back down to the trucks/campers at the end of the day. I’m sure this isn’t “true” alpine hunting but I’m just trying to make some memories with my dad without pushing him too far. I’ve found some mountain ranges in the Adam’s/Shuswap area but again - I’m completely new to this and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on where to look? PM’s are welcome.

Thank you

Sorry man, wish I could help ya but have only hunted around the Kamloops area long time ago once or twice. Yeah like twoseven0 said southern region 8 has good mountains my Dad used to pack hunt 4 point early Muley there when I was a kid. He has to show me some time where

Thanks for the replies. I’ll start doing some more research into region 8 and out towards Lillooet area and see what I can come up with.

Shulaps, Yalacom, 9 mile, Spruce lk., Pinrose, Eldorado. All reg 3 and some big deer
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA