Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a move to Quesnel.....Thoughts?

Re: Thinking about a move to Quesnel.....Thoughts?

If you want to atv from your house look at Bouchie lake area (west) or Kersley(south)

Hydraulic road used to be good too, but it washed out and it doesn't look like they're going to fix it anytime soon. Now the easiest way to get there is thru Kersley.

Put over 8000km on an atv one year. Lots of overnight trips out west staying in range cabins, logging camps or at Kluskus travelling the old wagon roads and seismic lines. Or heading along the Quesnel river or over Kangaroo mountain to Likely, Black creek, Beaver Valley, Keithly Creek, Yanks peak through the old mining trails. MUST pack a chainsaw on your atv.

Lots of bears in any direction. Come shoot a couple this spring and check out the area. Not enough people are shooting them any more. You can park your trailer in my yard if you want. I have an RV dump and a pole shed and shop for skinning.

Used to be a lot of wolves but I think that is slowly shifting. Seems like they killed off most of their food sources and have died off. I don't see near as many tracks as in the past and I'm starting to see the odd moose calf. (I'm no expert but I haven't shot a wolf in 2 winters now and used to get 1 or 2 a year. I am going by what I see and tracks I see while winter hunting). Fires might have shifted them away too tho

No real campsites on Dragon other than Legion Beach and Roberts Roost, those are more like trailer parks
    Dragon is good fishing, lots of the local lakes are.

Jasper Croy at remax is the guy to call if you want a real estate agent.

The only thing Quesnel lacks is a BC ferry. But I don’t think you’ll miss it. You can be anywhere on the mainland and some of Alberta in 10ish hour drive. In a hour you can be in places you probably will not see another person for a week or two, so leave a note where you’re going.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I lived there for 30 some years. Moved in 2006. Last place I owned and occupied was the last house in the city over on Hydraulic Road. Boat launch was about 150 yards from the driveway. I could quad out the back door, lots of area to explore. Northeast toward Ahbau, Swift River. Just pick a spot and head out. Bring extra gas.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

The roads that I found most intriguing were the old gold mining roads that are quite obscure. Never know what you will encounter.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    If you want to atv from your house look at Bouchie lake area (west) or Kersley(south)

Hydraulic road used to be good too, but it washed out and it doesn't look like they're going to fix it anytime soon. Now the easiest way to get there is thru Kersley.

Put over 8000km on an atv one year. Lots of overnight trips out west staying in range cabins, logging camps or at Kluskus travelling the old wagon roads and seismic lines. Or heading along the Quesnel river or over Kangaroo mountain to Likely, Black creek, Beaver Valley, Keithly Creek, Yanks peak through the old mining trails. MUST pack a chainsaw on your atv.

Lots of bears in any direction. Come shoot a couple this spring and check out the area. Not enough people are shooting them any more. You can park your trailer in my yard if you want. I have an RV dump and a pole shed and shop for skinning.

Used to be a lot of wolves but I think that is slowly shifting. Seems like they killed off most of their food sources and have died off. I don't see near as many tracks as in the past and I'm starting to see the odd moose calf. (I'm no expert but I haven't shot a wolf in 2 winters now and used to get 1 or 2 a year. I am going by what I see and tracks I see while winter hunting). Fires might have shifted them away too tho

No real campsites on Dragon other than Legion Beach and Roberts Roost, those are more like trailer parks
    Dragon is good fishing, lots of the local lakes are.

Jasper Croy at remax is the guy to call if you want a real estate agent.
    Lots of wolf sign out the Honolulu road when I went out that way, I shoot every one I get a poke at.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Lots of wolf sign out the Honolulu road when I went out that way, I shoot every one I get a poke at.
    Yep. That's where we used to get them.

Since it burned and there's no moose there, there hasn't been much for sign. They aren't plowing it anymore either.

We run one guy down the river on a sled and one down the road in the truck and used to push them to each other. Start right at the highway and go to the bridge at 31 and just try and stay beside each other. Made for some fun times!

Sending the sled around the dump road to come up the river to the truck worked pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Yep. That's where we used to get them.

Since it burned and there's no moose there, there hasn't been much for sign. They aren't plowing it anymore either.

We run one guy down the river on a sled and one down the road in the truck and used to push them to each other. Start right at the highway and go to the bridge at 31 and just try and stay beside each other. Made for some fun times!

Sending the sled around the dump road to come up the river to the truck worked pretty good too.

There was moose sign in spots, some deer, saw a big grizz on one of the burnt hills and about 100 chickens, I was just out by myself scouting and checking out some of the local lakes.

Thanks for the info everyone. I've officially applied for my transfer at work and getting the house ready to sell. Mortgage free in moose and big deer country sounds pretty sweet in my 40s

Piper Super Cub with STOL next!
    Blacktail Nut

Quote Originally Posted by Murder View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I've officially applied for my transfer at work and getting the house ready to sell. Mortgage free in moose and big deer country sounds pretty sweet in my 40s

Congrats!!

So congrats in listing your house and moving to Quesnel. When looking to buy in Quesnel there are a couple things to consider. 1) Research the area on the west side of the Fraser as there is an active slippage and the city of Quesnel has on their city web page a list of maps showing the areas of concern. 2) watch where the water goes in the neighbourhood, like are you on a water shedding or receiving location, where does the water flow and is their a sump pump in the basement as that is sign that you may encounter water issues. If you want to be located out of town on a larger lot there is that and if you are adjacent to the Fraser there is a chance that the land will move towards the river. North of town in the rural area you may have lagoons instead of septic systems because of soil types (more clay or hard pan). South of town there is more gravelly soils. I am moved here in 2015 from Dawson Creek for work and has been great as i can access atleast 6 waterbodies and 3 river systems all within 30minutes of my residence. I can also access dragon lake within 1km from the house. However I do miss the peace hunting area but with that being said there are some opportunities here in quesnel and i can still get to the peace within 6hours. There are a multitude of opportunities here, you just have to scout for them. Enjoy the time and i might see you out on the hard water for trout or kokannee.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder View Post