Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Deer Liver preparation/recipe

Re: Deer Liver preparation/recipe

Traditional recipe for liver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk19nKBJqBE

I didn't know there was such a thing as Liver Flukes, I tried a peice last night raw for the first time hopefully I don't get the Liver Flukes hahaha. The Buck was super healthy though and Liver looked fine. I have always eaten the Liver Medium, cooked through but some colour/pink in the middle and i've been fine so far

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing as Liver Flukes, I tried a peice last night raw for the first time hopefully I don't get the Liver Flukes hahaha. The Buck was super healthy though and Liver looked fine. I have always eaten the Liver Medium, cooked through but some colour/pink in the middle and i've been fine so far
    If I remember correctly they are big leech like critters . Back when BC had meat inspectors pre 1978 , I think any infected livers would be tossed in the dog food bin . Not sure how common they are , I've not seen one in several hundred farm slaughtered beef and game

Shot a big Blacktail and when I opened him up, the smell was overpowering. His liver was really large and black. Don't know if his other organs were affected. Didn't eat any of this buck.

My wife complained that the last liver I brought home was bloodier thn any other I've taken home in the last 47 years. "Didn't you cut its throat?' she asked.

I said no, it was dead when I got to it, shot through the neck, but not thorugh the jugular. I guess that was the issue, usually I hit them in the bolier room and they bleed out. My dad used to cut all deer across the whole throat and I used to do tht too, but ealized some time ago how unnecessary that is. I just poke them right in the jugular to finish them off if necessary.

As far as flukes go, I don't know if it was flukes or what, but i got a LEH elk cow a few years ago and the liver was full of gray spots and creepy looking so I dumped it. I was told that because the elk there in Sayward share grazing areas with domestic sheep that they pick up some kind of liver disease.
    Last edited by MichelD; 01-05-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Steven Rinella's liver mousse is a good one

I looked into them after I made that reply, definitely never seen them before. Something i'd notice unless it was larvae, especially if you slice it

Some nice looking dishes from Gate there. I don't mean to rain on anyone's liver recipe.... I always loved a freshly killed cooked liver in camp. Skin the thin layer off the outside, marinate etc.
    That was, until I started working with geologists who made me aware that in the area I hunt, there was a significant levels of arsenic in the rocks and therefore in the water of the old mines near my hunting area. The liver is a filter which logically can retain high levels of 'things' that we would ingest. I have not eaten liver since I was made aware of the potential for harmful elements being retained in the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Some nice looking dishes from Gate there. I don't mean to rain on anyone's liver recipe.... I always loved a freshly killed cooked liver in camp. Skin the thin layer off the outside, marinate etc.
    That was, until I started working with geologists who made me aware that in the area I hunt, there was a significant levels of arsenic in the rocks and therefore in the water of the old mines near my hunting area. The liver is a filter which logically can retain high levels of 'things' that we would ingest. I have not eaten liver since I was made aware of the potential for harmful elements being retained in the meat.
    That's interesting. I wonder how often you would have to eat liver to see any negative effects? It's something I have never thought of.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!