Thread: Hiking POles with internal "cables"

Hiking POles with internal "cables"

Saw a set of hiking poles that use internal cables similar to tent poles instead of the usual locks. Fold together really small which makes them interesting to me. Has anyone used them? Any disadvantages compared to the "normal" designs? They do look flimsy.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hiking POles with internal "cables"

I have a pair of these and am happy with them so far. I’ve only had them for a year and went on a few hikes but thought they are good so far. I think the locking mechanism will break before the cables have issues.

https://vpo.ca/product/306479/distan...kaAnuqEALw_wcB

Do you mean these ones from black diamond? They are not meant for “serious hikers” according to BD customer service, I’d steer clear!

Iv gone through 2 sets, (1 pole from each set), the glue let go inside the tube making the pole useless. The flz looks good on paper and in pictures, not so much 20 km from the truck with a ram in the bag. Luckily BD sent me a set of their alpine carbon corks in replacement, so far they have been holding up good.

Do you have the "Z" model or the standard ones???

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Do you mean these ones from black diamond? They are not meant for “serious hikers” according to BD customer service, I’d steer clear!

Iv gone through 2 sets, (1 pole from each set), the glue let go inside the tube making the pole useless. The flz looks good on paper and in pictures, not so much 20 km from the truck with a ram in the bag. Luckily BD sent me a set of their alpine carbon corks in replacement, so far they have been holding up good.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Do you have the "Z" model or the standard ones???
    I went with the standard poles with locks witch were that BD recommended with my warranty claim. I’m going on 3 years with these new alpine carbon corks. I see they now offer the alpine carbon Z model, I don’t believe they offered that model when I got my warranty poles. I would be a bit skeptical though with the design with the two failures I had. I honestly don’t notice the weight difference in my hands while using the alpine’s, but I can notice the sturdiness when smacking snow off branches or parting devils clubs vs the lighter flz’s, though the flz does pack down nice.

Not to call them a “ladys pole”, but my gf has used the distance carbon flz’s for a few years now with no problems. But mine are generally the ones being used for tarp props and such. BD highly recommended not to use the distance flz’s for tarp poles when I did my warranty claim. If a persons just looking for a lighter use pole, you’d probably be ok.

All the new fancy UL carbon poles sure are temping. But my old MSR surelock UltraLight 2’s are very dependable and super strong.

I’ve had a pair of the z model for about 6 years. They’ve been great. So much easier on steep ground, especially in grassy/herb avi tracks. They really help when getting a deer out, makes it so much easier. I never hunt without them in my pack. They do flex quite bit, so you have to watch you don’t get them wedged between rocks or logs, I’m sure they’d snap if you put too much pressure on them, the trade off for being so light.