Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk Advice

Elk Advice

Hey Guys, this will be my first thread finally figured out how to start one been trying for a while hahaha.

I have been Hunting since I was 11, never tried to get an Elk before but pretty determined to try and get one next season. I am going to be scouting and have boughten some books on Elk behaviour and have been using the internet to research and a bugle and a cow call. I live in Maple Ridge, my initial plan was to try Princeton because that is the closest location with a GO season and scout almost every weekend starting late winter until opening. But I am thinking my efforts may be better rewarded elsewhere. I am not sure yet whether I should go to the Kootenays or up North. North will be harder for me to make it on as many scouting trips. But am not sure if scouting is as important with Elk because from what I have gathered so far they are frequently moving/migrating? I will be doing a backpacking trip.

I am just wondering if anyone would recommend either region 7 or region 4, and why? and any advice in general really would be appreciated. I don't have a jetboat or money for a fly-in or anything like that but I could cross a river in a canoe or a packraft but nothing really more not next year anyway. I have been looking at places on maps in region 4 and have some places in mind but of course won't know until I arrive there really.

Feel free to PM me

I have seen a massive 7 point bull that I got nice pics of in region 8 but figure the odds are better in region 7 or 4

I'm not sure if I will try Archery or Rifle yet, but leaning towards rifle. With the amount of time and money I will be putting in I would like to increase my odds as much as I could.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Advice

In your words lies the problem.
    Hard to scout when you live down here.
    Not practical to drive 10+ hours for a day of scouting, as you wont have enough time and still to get home.

A said, the higher north, the better it sounds like these days.
    But some areas up there are getting crowded as well.
    Going east is crowded where there are still some #'s of elk around however.
    And many prefer bow over rifle when going on the east hunts.
    Although I would stick to rifle.

As for where to go, its a hard question to answer.
    And like me, your trapped in the LM, so finding that new spot is a real challenge.

I have seen good bulls taken on hbc for this year.
    Some are from up north, a lot of them actually.
    But, there are some to be taken in the WK and EK as well.

Put in for LEH on the Island & cross your fingers.

Assuming you are going by yourself I would suggest not going backpacking for a few reasons... number one being if you are solo that will be one heck of a packout, 4 plus trips worth. Two being you can cover allot of ground in a day hiking from the truck looking for sign and or glassing. This saves you a bunch of energy trying to find elk while packing all of your gear with you. As per north or south just go with your gut and do some research. Both hold elk

Buy a bugle and reeds NOW and practice like your life depends on it.

Lots of good tutorials on YouTube. My favorite is the Bugler, Dirk Durham. Think he's in Idaho.

Calling is your best way to locate and draw in an elk.

Spot and stalk is more challenging for everything to come into alignment..

Once you are proficient go wherever you feel.

Going solo, make sure you got the tools to get it out. Packboard, game cart, what have you..

Get in shape, elk hunting can be a long trek..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Yeah Bugle your right, I hate it down here to boot hahah planning a way out in the coming years. It is hard but not impossible, I am willing to make it work but Kootenays I could but up north would be way harder, I would have to sacrifice instead of an area I could possibly scout every week or every other week would probably have to lower that down to two-three scouting trips if I am still going to be able to take a week off work for the hunt.

It is looking like I will be by myself, I might be able to manage to get someone to come with me but if not I am still going to go. I was thinking packing just to get where most people will not go/away from pressure. But yeah definitely better be able to leave an area in the truck and go to another instead of being stuck back packing if the area isn't holding much. If I completely deboned him (although I love the bones from the quarters for cooking and the marrow) do you still think it would take 4+ trips? I know they are much larger than Deer.

Yeah rocksteady I bought a power bugle I can make a bugle/chuckle with it and haven't watched the dvd yet but with the thin band I find it can become inconsistent quick. Reeds and tubes I am going to buy for sure I think I can make a better sounding Bugle with practice and you also get way more versatility with cow calls and everything in between. What would you recommend for reeds/tubes? I have heard Carlton's are good and Phelps. I have the gear and am going to be getting more and upgrading through the year and be ready for opening.

Appreciate the replies a lot guys!!
    Last edited by TheObserver; 01-03-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Get a protective cap for the power bugle and load up on the bands .

There are boys in reg 8 that get their bull pretty much every year while others complain.
    Think about that.

Understand elk habitat, what their requirements are this is KEY.

Elk and pressure get along like oil and water and do not hesitate to blow out 5 to 10kms if bounced.
    Hunting elk close to roads in pressured areas is a low odds play.

I you are solo you are limited.
    If you have a winger you in a much better position to get into less pressured areas.

If you put your first elk down it is quite an experience when you walk up to it.

My comments are mostly directed to reg 8

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Yeah Bugle your right, I hate it down here to boot hahah planning a way out in the coming years. It is hard but not impossible, I am willing to make it work but Kootenays I could but up north would be way harder, I would have to sacrifice instead of an area I could possibly scout every week or every other week would probably have to lower that down to two-three scouting trips if I am still going to be able to take a week off work for the hunt.

It is looking like I will be by myself, I might be able to manage to get someone to come with me but if not I am still going to go. I was thinking packing just to get where most people will not go/away from pressure. But yeah definitely better be able to leave an area in the truck and go to another instead of being stuck back packing if the area isn't holding much. If I completely deboned him (although I love the bones from the quarters for cooking and the marrow) do you still think it would take 4+ trips? I know they are much larger than Deer.

Yeah rocksteady I bought a power bugle I can make a bugle/chuckle with it and haven't watched the dvd yet but with the thin band I find it can become inconsistent quick. Reeds and tubes I am going to buy for sure I think I can make a better sounding Bugle with practice and you also get way more versatility with cow calls and everything in between. What would you recommend for reeds/tubes? I have heard Carlton's are good and Phelps. I have the gear and am going to be getting more and upgrading through the year and be ready for opening.

Appreciate the replies a lot guys!!
    If you go solo in September and you get an elk then you are at risk of meat spoilage if you're hunting the koots.

Getting an animal is one thing but to then waste part of it is a disrespect to that animal.

I got my elk Oct 16th. Shot it at 730am and I had dressed it up by around 3pm. Friend came to help with the pack out. It likely would've been 4 trips bone in.

It's a big job dealing with an elk by yourself. If you're doing it in 25 degree temps then the pressure is on.

Yeah the absolute monster I seen was in region 8, he stood broadside at 60 yards not spooked he was with 4 or 5 cows. The white tips of his tines looked to be 6 inches he was huge! I could get way more scouting in region 8, but also would really like to increase my odds as much as possible. Are they pretty much migrating/moving continuously most of the year or will they have for the most part summer/winter ranges that they will sit around in for a while and spend some time in before migrating again? I know Princeton has got a herd and 8-12 - 8-15 holds Elk. I have heard they can be near the us border kind of Ashnola, also towards the Coq from Princeton but am not sure of this myself.

If I can't get a hunting partner i'll have to get a buddy to come for the trip to help maybe he'll become a hunter hahah, I know about meat spoilage and thought that through being near shaded creek areas for hanging. But now that you put it like that it could be a serious problem, not having the vehicle or kill site near somewhere cool.