Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning for Solo Elk

Planning for Solo Elk

Hey all,
    Wishing everyone a happy new year,
    looking forward to the year and hunting season ahead.

Im planning on doing my first ever elk hunt and will have the joy of going solo.
    Ive hunted a lot solo (deer) but never for a duration this long. Thinking of bringing my flyrod to keep me mentally in the bush as well as a pak alarm and an inreach for safety. I think physically Ill be fine too as im young and have a strong back, and will break down the packout into 4-7 trips.

Im also planning on taking a week off in August to go scouting which may help me find some good country and animals but its hard to know what the pressure will be like when the seasons on.
    Im buying a brand new GMC Sierra and dont want to beat the shit out of it so I may consider bring my beater ford f150 if this would be a better option for getting way back

Im leaning towards 7b, but from what Ive heard it can be a zoo around the time I want to be up there (sept 10-24). Im used to other areas (reg 3& and there pressure on the main roads and atvs buzzin but Im usually able to get to some good areas with my boot leather. Obviously pressured elk and deer are different.

I know its selfish to want a whole mountain or drainage to yourself, and Im not wanting the place to be completely empty of people and potentially game for that matter, Im just looking for some solitude and Im always worried about calling in other hunters or “falling” for other hunters bugles thinking they’re a bull.

I know a real bull sounds a lot more intense then Bob does as he blows his call out of the cab of his ford. Just not wanting to turn every corner snd seeing a gongshow like whipsaw/tunkwa can be if you know what I mean.

Im looking at options as Ive heard people say if they arnt in one place keep moving untill you find fresh sign (seems simple enough).
    For this reason im tossing up bringing a canoe and floating some rivers to get away from the pressure but Im also sure ill be sharing the river with jetboaters and the like. And the hassle of getting a taxi/shuttle ride back to the truck or whatnot can be a pain too.

I also like the idea of hiking the first day a few good kms away from the pressure and setting up a nice comfy base camp for the two weeks. But this wont work if theres no elk around.

Ive also been told that lots of elk in 7b are on private land. Im not huge on knocking on doors and hunting someones back yard.

Would region 4 be a better bet to find some seclusion?

Not looking for honey holes as thats what scouting is for. Just wanting to have a nice two weeks off in the bush with the chance of an elk or mule deer to bring home.

If you were solo for two non chaotic weeks where would you go?
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Planning for Solo Elk

Fort Nelson

You know there are a lot of grizz in 7B right? It's not wise to go solo in those spots, but I see you are from LML so you won't listen anyway.

I'd charter a jet boat to drop you on the Muskwa/Tuchodi or maybe even the Toad River, about the only way to get away from trucks and atv hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    You know there are a lot of grizz in 7B right? It's not wise to go solo in those spots, but I see you are from LML so you won't listen anyway.
    Oh wow hey the jerk store called…

I would chose 7b over 4 to try to get as secluded as you can. Region 4 is quite road extensive and the horse guys get into the rest of the country. I do a solo august hunt hunt pretty much every year. You talk about private land in 7b. Go further north like more toad riverish. You can take your nice truck and camp right out of it hiking off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post

I'd charter a jet boat to drop you on the Muskwa/Tuchodi or maybe even the Toad River, about the only way to get away from trucks and atv hunters.

Sounds like youre scared of grizzlies, better not go out without anyone holding your hand. Its scary in the wild. You are the guy who probably needs a nightlight in the bathroom as you sit down to pee like usual.

Appreciate the supportive comments, but the above assuming I wont listen based on my geographical location is halarious, this site is full of people who wont listen or take advice or are overly stubborn, and they live all over the province! Lol seriously though some great people with great advice on this site.

Looking for seclusion away from types like unhappy jack
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

Go north…and further than you think…and think outside the box.

We've been talking about heading North, and as stated, way north.
    Also as stated, R4 is road extensive, and in many areas, the elk#'s are still way too low, imo.
    And if you do find a reasonably populated area, the locals already know the areas all too well.
    Doesn't mean you can sneak in there and get one, as timing/luck always are a factor.
    But, there is still a long way to go up in there until there is more breathing (hunting) room for all.
    Cant say about 7b.
    But, if solo, do take some precautions, like packing a SPOT etc, if you plan to get off the beat and path.
    One slip, and you could be in big troubles.

Go to Wonowon or further North . Terrain south is horrible as soon as it rains ( brutal mud ) .

Good on YOU ! shawdowhunter - it takes GUT's to do that ! Good LUCK ! I HOPE you have a GREAT Successfull Trip ! RJ