Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning for Solo Elk

Re: Planning for Solo Elk

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Is this a thing that people legitimately worry about? Serious question.
    I mean, not that folks take a cavalier attitude about bear safety, but that people won’t solo hunt for fear of bears?
    I think it comes from our early bush craft training [old guys], we never had fancy electronics to call for help so it was drilled into us that it wasn't a good idea to head out alone without someone knowing where you were, bears never factored into it. We may have five guys in camp, but we usually hunt solo for the day. The grizz comments I made earlier were more or less internet joking as I don't really believe LML hunters are any less capable than any others.

Re: Planning for Solo Elk

I have hunted solo only because my hunting partner could not make it but having a second person with you in my opinion makes for a much more enjoyable hunt. I would get someone to drop you off on the Muskwa or Tuchodi in a lot of places you would only have to walk a couple km to get into great elk hunting. Yes there are Grizzly around that's because there are elk there but in all my years I have seen lots of Grizzly and have lost a couple of elk to them but never had a bad experience with them you just have to be aware of them and respect them. I have hunted the Tuchodi for over 40 years so send me a message if you want some info on good areas to be dropped off. Best of luck this coming fall.