Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning for Solo Elk

Re: Planning for Solo Elk

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhunter View Post
    Sounds like youre scared of grizzlies, better not go out without anyone holding your hand. Its scary in the wild. You are the guy who probably needs a nightlight in the bathroom as you sit down to pee like usual.

Appreciate the supportive comments, but the above assuming I wont listen based on my geographical location is halarious, this site is full of people who wont listen or take advice or are overly stubborn, and they live all over the province! Lol seriously though some great people with great advice on this site.

Looking for seclusion away from types like unhappy jack
    I love this.. any photos of your longest solo meat pack ?and how big was the animal and what general area?
    You must have killed alot of grizzlies? Whats the best way to make sure one doesnt eat me as i sleep in my tent covered in elk blood.
    Ps how many trips does it take you to pack in your food \tent \stove\clothes for two weeks at once..do you bring a sleeping bag?tarp?lantern? What do you eat and my god what clothes would you bring into the Rockys eitheir region last two week of septmber?

One thing if you think you are going to do 4to7 trips into a elk in grizzly
    country, I would rethink that one. One encounter with grizzlies on a kill will cure you. It
    doesn’t matter how tough you are on the internet. Try to find area without
    alot of grizzly sign
    Last edited by Fosey; 01-03-2022 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhunter View Post
    Sounds like youre scared of grizzlies, better not go out without anyone holding your hand. Its scary in the wild. You are the guy who probably needs a nightlight in the bathroom as you sit down to pee like usual.

Appreciate the supportive comments, but the above assuming I wont listen based on my geographical location is halarious, this site is full of people who wont listen or take advice or are overly stubborn, and they live all over the province! Lol seriously though some great people with great advice on this site.

Looking for seclusion away from types like unhappy jack
    Glad you picked up on the trigger joke.

Seriously though it's not a good idea to solo hunt in wild country, unless you are totally anti social.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post

Seriously though it's not a good idea to solo hunt in wild country, unless you are totally anti social.
    Is this a thing that people legitimately worry about? Serious question.
    I mean, not that folks take a cavalier attitude about bear safety, but that people won’t solo hunt for fear of bears?

My biggest safety concern going solo in gbear country would be while gutting/skinning and packing out all of the meat of an elk. Some sheep and goat hunters do it but it's a lot less meat to deal with.
    Secondary concern would be getting injured in a remote area.
    As mentioned, it would be essential to have a Garmin InReach or Zoleo.
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 01-03-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Peoples fear of bears is amazing to me. I fish the squamish river with big ol grizz mum and cubs and fish the same bar and the same area every year, have had encounters with 1000lb+ coastal grizz and mountain interior grizz before, Ive been bluffed charged by black bears, had them stalk me, sniff out my camp. Isnt that what makes hunting in bear country fun? Something to keep in mind but not going to keep me out of the bush solo.

Some on here read to many headlines of bear attacks, yet having a heart attack or broken leg in the woods is waaaay more likely to happen then yogi mauling you.

Solo hunting is something ive done since I was 18. Packed many deer on my back many miles. Taking your time amd breaking it down into smaller trips is the key to not get exhaustion. You get exhausted and your head doesnt work too good…..

lots of keyboard warriors here probably need there buddy with them riding shotgun as they road hunt the edge of civilization all in the fear of bear attacks.

yes bear attacks happen. But way more deaths out in the bush like heart attacks and falls then people getting attacked by animals.

Simple things like telling someone my location where im planning on going checking in each night and going to keep my head on a swivel and take necessary precautions (cook away from camp, leap frog meat, carry 12gauge in hands etc)

Its amazing how many grown ups are scared of there own mind…. or grizzlies, cougars attacks etc.

Yes I plan on having grizz encounters, just not going to go clutching for my mommy as I soil my depends….
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

If your plan is to hunt the 3point zone in the chetwynd/Ft. st. john/Dawson area, try hunting the edges of the zone. Should be less traffic than picking an area right in the middle. There will be elk to be had, just be prepared to potentially have several days of no action. This ain't primos.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSixPack View Post
    If your plan is to hunt the 3point zone in the chetwynd/Ft. st. john/Dawson area, try hunting the edges of the zone. Should be less traffic than picking an area right in the middle. There will be elk to be had, just be prepared to potentially have several days of no action. This ain't primos.
    "this aint Primos" is a good way to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSixPack View Post
    Pretty tough to find solitude in that zone.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Pretty tough to find solitude in that zone.
    You got that right!