Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Trail Camera

Re: Best Trail Camera

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Also interested is getting some more trail cams. Good thread.

I bought a Uway cam from wholesale sports before they closed along with the steel box to protect it. A bear gave it a munch but that didn't stop it from working. One year i had it out watching a water hole that had water through the hot summer. It also rained a ton on the island and it filled about 1/3 full with water which ruined it. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. It seems they are no longer around.
    I did get some nice pictures this year of some whitetails with it.
    UWay was bought out by RidgeTec. I have three of them currently and have never an issue. ( Yet) Going on 3 years now and I never take them out, just change SD cards and batteries

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Yo might try contacting Browning to see if they can provide a new case. I had a bear take after a Bushnell camera years ago and they sent me a case for free from a camera that had been returned to them because it was defective.
    Thanks; will try !

Quote Originally Posted by elker View Post
    SPYPOINT® FORCE DARK 12mp

best trigger speed
    very clear videos or photos
    discontinued, too bad
    the Spypoint Force Pro is a real good one

I also really like the Bushnell CORE s4K camera
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 2chodi View Post
    Yo might try contacting Browning to see if they can provide a new case. I had a bear take after a Bushnell camera years ago and they sent me a case for free from a camera that had been returned to them because it was defective.
    That's amazing! Great hearing stories like that. I had a few companies send me replacement stuff free to componsate for pure negligence on my part lol ... it goes a long way.

Maybe I'll make my next camera another Browning. Been really happy with mine after quite a few years all year round.

Great thread - really appreciate hearing 1st hand experiences. I'm also looking at running a couple of cameras and won't be able to check them very often.

Hearing about how the cameras can be bear appetizers and also get stolen, I'm wondering if anyone has used a SPYHIGH mounting system, which looks like it could get a trailcam away from trouble: https://www.spyhighmounts.com/
    forever noob

I've been running the upper level Bushnell and Browning trail cams the last few years on private property. Tried one Stealth Cam and won't be using again.
    Best one for me so far is the Bushnell Core DS-4K cams.
    https://www.bushnell.com/trail-camer...B-119987C.html

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    Great thread - really appreciate hearing 1st hand experiences. I'm also looking at running a couple of cameras and won't be able to check them very often.

Hearing about how the cameras can be bear appetizers and also get stolen, I'm wondering if anyone has used a SPYHIGH mounting system, which looks like it could get a trailcam away from trouble: https://www.spyhighmounts.com/
    That seems like a lot of work. I put most of my cameras up in a tree looking down at an angle. I build my own mounts using this system

https://www.deerassociation.com/buil...-camera-mount/

I have a three rung section of a tree climbing system and use that to put the mount in the tree. I then pile a crap of stuff at the base and up the tree to keep the bears away. Seems to work so far. I put them over salt licks, so they work well for me, much better than 3' off the ground. Keeps the bears, moose and elk from bothering them.

Downfall to angling it down is smaller field of view and you wont pick up animals in the peripheral of the site. It works well on trails, but again, depending on the detection length and trigger time, you might get the animal 60" away and can't see it that well, or you just get the ass as it walks away or the blurred out face if too close.

Just ordered another two Brownings for $100 off each, plus the ammo boxes for my battery builds this winter.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Thanks SS. I really appreciate your input. I thought about a tree climbing ladder as well but since I don't have one I was thinking the SKYHIGH mounting system might be the ticket.

The DIY mount in the link you shared looks like a great system - I'm also thinking of a higher mount to avoid the wildlife and thieves.

It seems the most popular responses are for Brownings and Bushnells - I'm thinking one of each to start to see how I like them. Can you please tell me which Brownings you just bought?
    forever noob

Quote Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
    Thanks SS. I really appreciate your input. I thought about a tree climbing ladder as well but since I don't have one I was thinking the SKYHIGH mounting system might be the ticket.

The DIY mount in the link you shared looks like a great system - I'm also thinking of a higher mount to avoid the wildlife and thieves.

It seems the most popular responses are for Brownings and Bushnells - I'm thinking one of each to start to see how I like them. Can you please tell me which Brownings you just bought?
    When it comes to Browning cameras, you'll find the most consistency and quality out of their "Pro" models versus the "HD Max". I run about a dozen of these cameras (various models) and they hit everything from trigger speed to video quality and consistency.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

There are some Brownings on sale at Cabelas for $100 off right now - might be what was being referred to above.

I ran a couple of the Cabelas Gen 3 Outfitters this year and was happy with them. I found the integral LCD screen very handy for set up and quickly checking on what had been snapped.