Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Trail Camera

Re: Best Trail Camera

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    When it comes to Browning cameras, you'll find the most consistency and quality out of their "Pro" models versus the "HD Max". I run about a dozen of these cameras (various models) and they hit everything from trigger speed to video quality and consistency.
    Thanks HCBC, kind of confused because I don't see the Pro on sale for $100 off (your previous post).

Quote Originally Posted by bconthefly View Post
    There are some Brownings on sale at Cabelas for $100 off right now - might be what was being referred to above.

I ran a couple of the Cabelas Gen 3 Outfitters this year and was happy with them. I found the integral LCD screen very handy for set up and quickly checking on what had been snapped.
    Thanks onthefly, I saw those as well and think I better pull the trigger on a couple of them.
    forever noob

?? Stealthcam Browtine ??
    on sale, likely a clearance of old models
    claims 80 ft detection and ir , that seems like a stretch maybe?
    other cams I've had are lucky to get 40 ft
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    ............ I put most of my cameras up in a tree looking down at an angle..............
    I have a three rung section of a tree climbing system and use that to put the mount in the tree..............

Downfall to angling it down is smaller field of view and you wont pick up animals in the peripheral of the site. It works well on trails, but again, depending on the detection length and trigger time, you might get the animal 60" away and can't see it that well, or you just get the ass as it walks away or the blurred out face if too close.

Just ordered another two Brownings for $100 off each, plus the ammo boxes for my battery builds this winter.
    have you a system for aiming properly for the best down-the-trail-shots?

also do you need more battery than lithiums provide? pics or video?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I have been playing around with another cheapo brand, "GardePro A3". They run about $100 on Amazon.

I ordered 2 of them earlier in May. After running them for a few weeks without any major issue/glitches, seemed promising to me and I liked the video quality and sound for the most part. Could hear the bears breathing and chewing away. The sound does glitch once in a while (usually a second or two into each video there is a spike of "noise", like a woosh sound for about a 10th of a second)

Ordered 2 more towards the end of May. Both seem good as the first two.

I won't give any model of cams a thumbs up until I have run them year round in everything from 30C to -15C, heavy rains, etc without issue, but these do seem promising for a cheap no name brand if anyone feels like a little experimenting/gambling. Given how these "brands" pop up and disappear, tough to say they will still be available in the form they are now after the 1 year review is in.

So far I have found the detection and trigger to be excellent, no unexplainable false positives, no water ingress (they have seen some decent rain), no loss of connectivity with SD card, no software crashing, no time drift, great battery efficiency (hundreds of 30s videos and batteries still test like new) great video format (quality is great yet file size is small), nice menu system and photo/video preview ... low profile glow at night, can barely see the glow even if you are staring right at it.

Complaints? The brief woosh sound at the start of some videos, the latches on two of them don't latch down as tight as the other two, easy fix if it was an issue, but they seal fine, button presses are bit loud (hollow click, fairly common) if you have to have to mess with it while actively hunting (plus side is the latch clicks are more quiet and easier to suppress by operating them slowly)

That's it really, full preliminary review. Will see if there are any malfunctions or LED burnout/dim after a year of service, for now seems very promising. Most cheapo brands start showing their glitches within the first 2-3 weeks, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

For video samples from these cams, search "caddisguy" on YouTube and check out the last 2 or 3 "bear hunting" videos from May/June this year.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-25-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Picked up the “Muddy” 2 pack at cabelas abby for 99$ , seems like a good price!

Anyone have them, wondering what I should expect. Seem like a deal!
    Nothin better then the great outdoors!

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    have you a system for aiming properly for the best down-the-trail-shots?

also do you need more battery than lithiums provide? pics or video?
    I use the Brownings that have the small screen and use my pack with a white salt bag as my target. If I use a camera that doesn't have the screen, I just place and adjust by going back and forth from tree to area I want covered. Take little time.

The Brownings will run approx. 3600 10 sec video's on AA Lithiums during the summer. Winter is approx. 2600 videos. The Stealthcams vary depending on the models. The white flash will get approx. 2000 videos and the black flash will be around 1500. The Stealthcams are battery and SD card hogs on video, great on photos though. Bushnells are great all around for battery life.

I have everything for separate battery power for 4 cameras, just waiting for bears to go to bed. They will destroy the set up.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!