Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a German Shorthair Pointer puppy

Looking for a German Shorthair Pointer puppy

I have been contacting GSP breeders for availability on a 2022 litter. Not having much luck. Anyone have any connections?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a German Shorthair Pointer puppy

Check out Camridge pudelpointers. I'd get a PP over a GSP every time.

Quote Originally Posted by -LP View Post
    I have been contacting GSP breeders for availability on a 2022 litter. Not having much luck. Anyone have any connections?

Thanks
    Have you tried Champion Sporting Dogs in Bretton, Alberta?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Check out Camridge pudelpointers. I'd get a PP over a GSP every time.
    Yeah And I would shoot a Beretta over anything else doesn't mean its better ...

GSPs are great dogs, if you have Tons of time when they are pups to train properly. They can be challenging but are fantastic upland bird dogs.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Pointer crazy pointers on Facebook. They just had 5males and 2 females. A friend of ours has one of their dogs and it’s been great so far.
    R.I.P BiG Boar

Great dogs! good luck in your search

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Yeah And I would shoot a Beretta over anything else doesn't mean its better ...
    One is an opinion and one is the highest scoring NAVHDA breed. PP's are a much more versatile dog and handle canadian conditions much better than a GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    One is an opinion and one is the highest scoring NAVHDA breed. PP's are a much more versatile dog and handle canadian conditions much better than a GSP.
    The double coated dogs tend to handle harsher cold and open water conditions in winter compared to shorthair dogs but if waterfowl hunting over water is not part of the equation I'm sure they do just fine! How do PPs make out with the larger Canada geese?

A couple of questions:

How do shorthairs make out with winter water retrieves in general on waterfowl?

What are the difference between English and German shorthair pointers,,,,is one better than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    The double coated dogs tend to handle harsher cold and open water conditions in winter compared to shorthair dogs but if waterfowl hunting over water is not part of the equation I'm sure they do just fine! How do PPs make out with the larger Canada geese?

A couple of questions:

How do shorthairs make out with winter water retrieves in general on waterfowl?

What are the difference between English and German shorthair pointers,,,,is one better than the other?
    Agreed, water is where some GSP's struggle a bit, where as the pudelpointer's thrive in that element. As straight pointing dog and without the cold GSP's shine.

I've never had my PP on geese but the breeder I mentioned does it quite often and they have no issues.

I'd imagine the short hairs would really struggle with a winter water retrieve, I've got nothing to back this up though except for the fact they generally get cold very fast.

The difference between the German and English pointer is the German is a much much more versatile dog where as the English has been bread with only upland hunting in mind.