Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: homemade leather bandolier

homemade leather bandolier

when i started hunting i would grab the 10 sleeve of bullets from my federal ammo and it would just fit into my hip pouch on my backpack. i didn't like the look of it though, and wanted something that was a better fit overall.

I had gotten into leather work while restoring some old axes and making sheaths. I really liked it and i like the carving process too. so off i went creating a bandolier to hold my .308 rounds securely and quietly in the field.

I choose to carve in a ram's skull as it is a goal of mine to hunt sheep, and in many ways feels like a pinnacle for hunting. (not to diminish other species, but there is a romanticism with sheep hunting for sure). It was a fun project over the christmas season, and i binged watched WWII in colour. I learned a lot about leather crafting as well.

well that's all fine, but of course i went and got myself a new rifle this season, a tikka in 300 WSM. The magnum sized case doesn't fit into my bandolier. Guess i have to make a new one.

So this thread is just to keep track of my progress as I work and make my new one. I am carving in a grizzly bear this time, for a few reasons: it fits the canvas well, I killed my first bear this year, and grizzly's are king of the bears. hopefully i get one in the future (probably not in BC).

here is what i have so far:

going to work on it some more now, i'll update with my progress. not just on the art, but the whole build.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: homemade leather bandolier

Looking good! I bought my kids some stamps and a stone a couple of Christmas ago. I keep buying little projects for them to do every once in awhile. They’re nowhere near what you’re doing, but it’s definitely fun.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

nice work!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Nice work!!!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Looks great

Keep up the nice work.

some shape form for the muscle groups on this bear. i'm trying to lay a nice base for the fur texture, which is going to be tricky. already looking great, so i'm going minimal with the fur tufts and marks when i get there.

I have a test piece that I'm keeping up with the final version, experimenting with techniques.

also present is a good Canadian rye and a WWII documentary in the background.

ok so now some base fur texturing. next step is to go over top and and the appropriate tufts and finish that grizzly look

almost done now.

here is the finished bear, now more grizzled

The next step is to make the other side, which will have the bandolier bit on it. I referred back to my original drawings to get the measurements again. For a .308, with the thin belt over top each side it comes out to a 5/8" diameter. the 300 whizzzzum is 11/32". technically the 300wsm should take up 5 1/2" total space but looking at my original there is some wiggle room. I decided to just go with the 308 spacing i had and hoped that the loops would flex around a bit and fill the space. it is also convenient that the 300 wsm and 308 have the same COAL.

I also am doing this with a loop through style. you could also lay the strap on the surface and stitch in between each bullet, but it would take up more space per round and it's a lot more sewing.

here is the finished back piece, ready for the belt loops.

and now putting the belt through. i wet molded the leather and cinch it down super tight with the bullets in. this makes a nice form and it tightens on the neck of the case. it's meant to be in a hip pouch or thrown in my pack, but it passes the upside down blizzard test. i also stitched in the belt this time, last version i used rivets but it was a real pain in the ass.

here are the two halves now, ready to be joined.

i punched all the holes on each piece, then started the long saddle stitching process.

and getting a little help along the way