Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I moved to Clearwater

Re: I moved to Clearwater

Quote Originally Posted by butthead View Post
    i guess now we will see a increase in the wildlife population around here now
    that youve move on. lol
    looking forwards to some new photos and scenery from your new home.
    best to you harry
    Thanks buddy, I look forward to getting out a bit more and posting for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I don't know about Clearwater, but from what I've seen in up-country towns like Lillooet, Princeton, Clinton and others, the grocery store options are pretty limited. Reminds me of when I lived in Sointula up the coast and having to go visit the same brown head of iceberg lettuce in the store every trip.

I guess you can buy eggs locally if some has chickens, but veggies? How many people in Clearwater grow vegetables for local sale? And what about off-season, which is most of the time? Bread? Seriously? What small town has a bakery any more or even a household artisanal bakery? Meat if you want beef or pork or lamb if you don't want to eat game all the time? There might be thousands of cattle around but look in the local Overwaitea and it's Alberta feed-lot beef. It's illegal for a producer to butcher and sell to you without having animals slaughtered and processed in a licensed facility.

Just um...food for thought.
    I agree that is one setback of living in a smaller town... fortunately all we eat for red meat is wild game and that makes us happy.. we also grow a lot of our own veggies and my wife makes sourdough bread...

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I don't know about Clearwater, but from what I've seen in up-country towns like Lillooet, Princeton, Clinton and others, the grocery store options are pretty limited. Reminds me of when I lived in Sointula up the coast and having to go visit the same brown head of iceberg lettuce in the store every trip.

I guess you can buy eggs locally if some has chickens, but veggies? How many people in Clearwater grow vegetables for local sale? And what about off-season, which is most of the time? Bread? Seriously? What small town has a bakery any more or even a household artisanal bakery? Meat if you want beef or pork or lamb if you don't want to eat game all the time? There might be thousands of cattle around but look in the local Overwaitea and it's Alberta feed-lot beef. It's illegal for a producer to butcher and sell to you without having animals slaughtered and processed in a licensed facility.

Just um...food for thought.
    Wow MichelD.
    There is a lot of locals growing vegetables, and the grocery store in clearwater is well stocked better than many in the city. All the trucks drive past it...duh.
    Craigs bakery delivers daily up there and there is other grocery stores including bakery. in addition year round produce is grown up here buy many back yard farmers with success...

Beef,lamb,chicken,eggs.. how much do you want? My wife or I take at least two trips a month to the local abortoir (certified government kill facility) that is maybe half an hour 40 minutes from clearwater and there are many other small producers up in his neighbourhood if you want you can come help me load the next one in the trailer on the 11th. We are taking orders for the animal we are bringing in on april 28th..
    Harry ignore that nay say crap...the biggest down side is at your boys age your only a couple years from grade 8 and access to more diverse high schools and university is more of a challenge... that said with some creative parenting you can make sure hes still advancing even faster than the others.
    And thanks for not putting something you dont want to in your body because some beraucrat told you too.

I am sure a nice jump down in realestate from kelowna to clearwater but there is some good properties to be had there to still get a great equity ride. Oh and kokane fishing down town..swimming down town,chinook fishing down town, ect.
    Last edited by walks with deer; 01-07-2022 at 12:19 AM.

If you’re single you’ll be a busy man as small town woman are always looking for fresh meat! Lol just be careful
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Azure lake had incredible fishing!!
    https://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/wells_gry/azure.pdf Beauty Spot too ! RJ

https://kamloopstrails.net/rainbow-falls/
    Last edited by REMINGTON JIM; 01-07-2022 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Also dino gossip may seem more in a small town or more problems but the truth is its just harder to not be transparent in a small town..
    the way I used to look at it is, in a small town, most people know (know of) each other so it makes each person more responsible for their character. Also every person needs to interact with X number of people as they grow and develop who they are. In small towns, to get to X number of people, you will have to be more tolerant of differences (age, colour, wealth) to develop properly. In a city, you can get to X people without leaving your group. You can also be an a-hole to people and just move on to being an a-hole to different people....

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Wow MichelD.
    There is a lot of locals growing vegetables, and the grocery store in clearwater is well stocked better than many in the city. All the trucks drive past it...duh.
    Craigs bakery delivers daily up there and there is other grocery stores including bakery. in addition year round produce is grown up here buy many back yard farmers with success...

Beef,lamb,chicken,eggs.. how much do you want? My wife or I take at least two trips a month to the local abortoir (certified government kill facility) that is maybe half an hour 40 minutes from clearwater and there are many other small producers up in his neighbourhood if you want you can come help me load the next one in the trailer on the 11th. We are taking orders for the animal we are bringing in on april 28th..
    Harry ignore that nay say crap...the biggest down side is at your boys age your only a couple years from grade 8 and access to more diverse high schools and university is more of a challenge... that said with some creative parenting you can make sure hes still advancing even faster than the others.
    And thanks for not putting something you dont want to in your body because some beraucrat told you too.

I am sure a nice jump down in realestate from kelowna to clearwater but there is some good properties to be had there to still get a great equity ride. Oh and kokane fishing down town..swimming down town,chinook fishing down town, ect.
    Thanks for the update. Happy to be corrected. Sounds better than most places beyond Hope.
    Last edited by MichelD; 01-07-2022 at 01:09 PM.

Good luck to you and your family Harry !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    the way I used to look at it is, in a small town, most people know (know of) each other so it makes each person more responsible for their character. Also every person needs to interact with X number of people as they grow and develop who they are. In small towns, to get to X number of people, you will have to be more tolerant of differences (age, colour, wealth) to develop properly. In a city, you can get to X people without leaving your group. You can also be an a-hole to people and just move on to being an a-hole to different people....
    I think that last sentence is a bit of an issue with the small town. It certainly was when I lived in a tiny town back in Europe. Kids can and do dumb things. It's enough to make ONE big mistake and you've forever locked in your fate. Steal something and the kid (and their parents) are forever the thieves family. You aren't shaking that off easily. But
    Down here .... kid could change schools and might as well have moved in from Mars.

Of course, well brought up kids shouldnt Steal, but kids do dumb things. Just an example here.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    It is a fear of mine as well about the drugs etc, but those things are in every town..I think if you raise them right, and lol help them to not get bored, you stand a good chance they'll avoid them, for the most part...most kids try weed, drink of course ,and maybe try a few other substances, the key IMO is teaching them self control, which leads to moderation, and teaching them to stand up to peer pressure..
    Dont get me wrong. If I new we could handle it, i would be gone. Unfortunately ive been spoiled and because of my age im really starting to like the various restaurants, the access to anything i want so quick and easy. It is such a huge decision to make because if its a mistake there is no way to buy back in. If you enjoy it then good on ya and im jealous. It could be the biggest mistake ive ever made by not doing it.
    Hunting the promised land