Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I moved to Clearwater

Re: I moved to Clearwater

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Well dino a 8 year old smoking pot...hmm seen this in mission and in maple ridge many times and port coquitlam i have seen 13 year olds doing powder.

Lots for kids to do in the interior of bc.

Mine hunt and fish but they also ski,horse back ride,mountain bike,dirt bike farm,garden,cook ,clean,can have freinds over for trampolines and nerf fights oh and did i mention they go hunting and fishing from the yard. They also run tractors excavators drive dump trucks build forts ect...at the age of 12 and 10 they are very capable young people helping me insulate,paint pour concrete ect.

Also dino gossip may seem more in a small town or more problems but the truth is its just harder to not be transparent in a small town..

I do miss donairs and chinese food cheap though..
    This might be what your kids are exposed to but most kids probably dont have access to what you just stated. Ive lived and worked from downtown Vancouver to dease lake and everywhere in between. Kids have way less options in a small community and its way easier to be on the party. Mission,maple ridge and poco are places ive also worked and lived. All crap places IMO especially maple ditch!
    Gossip BS, infidelity and plain old ignorance has been my experience. It has nothing to do with transparency, there is just ef all to do in a two horse town and thats why people go on the way they do. I enjoy being left alone in the city, i enjoy the great food, access to anything i want at all times of the day. I dont have to listen to any BS "did you hear" gossip crap. I have a choice of multiple schools for my kids. Lots of diverse good paying jobs. My kids dont have to either work at the Mill or the Mine.lol. By the way, we have quads,sleds,dirtbikes,ect. we live on acreage and they can operate my excavators, bobcats, and a couple of 20ton cranes also.
    My preference if i leave the LML would be Vernon or just outside a little bit. I do like penticton too.
    Last edited by dino; 01-02-2022 at 12:42 AM.
    Hunting the promised land

Harry, Congrats on your move, and for having the spine to do what you think is best for you and yours. I grew up where Clearwater was the second closest town (to the distant northwest) so I might have a bit of a love for that country.

We lived far, far more remote, no BC hydro or real telephone for the first 6 years out there. I may have listened to my dad get directions from the doctor over the radio telephone on how to set my dislocated thumb (which worked BTW) , and may have lived through all sorts of experiences that most here probably would never believe.

I wouldn’t trade those years for anything. I especially miss the good fishing.
    Pretend hunter.

Lots of wild country to hunt in, be careful you don't get lost tho like one old fella did about 7-8 years ago. Still havn't found him or his vehicle. Close to Wells Gray and it's beautiful water falls. Hunting deer one time about 10 miles west of Clearwater, I stumbled upon some fairly large quartz rocks, I'm guessing some weighed around 40-50 lbs, one in particular had a streak of what looked like rust to me. A few year's later, as I was learning about prospecting & gold panning, I read something interesting about that rusty coloured streak. Needless to say I never returned back there, likely couldn't find it now especially the way my health took a nose-dive.

Quote Originally Posted by knighthunter View Post
    Lots of wild country to hunt in, be careful you don't get lost tho like one old fella did about 7-8 years ago. Still havn't found him or his vehicle. Close to Wells Gray and it's beautiful water falls. Hunting deer one time about 10 miles west of Clearwater, I stumbled upon some fairly large quartz rocks, I'm guessing some weighed around 40-50 lbs, one in particular had a streak of what looked like rust to me. A few year's later, as I was learning about prospecting & gold panning, I read something interesting about that rusty coloured streak. Needless to say I never returned back there, likely couldn't find it now especially the way my health took a nose-dive.
    If the old fellow you refer to was the one from Vavenby, then know that his truck was found up in the mountains to the east. It was supposedly parked in a manner that made it obscure and was found by chance by a timber cruiser. His wife had pre-deceased him a few years before. Draw your own conclusions.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    If the old fellow you refer to was the one from Vavenby, then know that his truck was found up in the mountains to the east. It was supposedly parked in a manner that made it obscure and was found by chance by a timber cruiser. His wife had pre-deceased him a few years before. Draw your own conclusions.
    Yes, that's the guy, was trying to remember Vavenby. Do you remember how long ago that was?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post

Apparently, suicide is not a given.

Cpl. Madonna Saunderson said there is no evidence of foul play, but the vehicle appears to have gotten stuck and officers believe Boettger may have been unable to free the truck. The terrain in the area is rugged and the officer said there is a "considerable" amount of overgrown brush around the vehicle.

I don't know about Clearwater, but from what I've seen in up-country towns like Lillooet, Princeton, Clinton and others, the grocery store options are pretty limited. Reminds me of when I lived in Sointula up the coast and having to go visit the same brown head of iceberg lettuce in the store every trip.

I guess you can buy eggs locally if some has chickens, but veggies? How many people in Clearwater grow vegetables for local sale? And what about off-season, which is most of the time? Bread? Seriously? What small town has a bakery any more or even a household artisanal bakery? Meat if you want beef or pork or lamb if you don't want to eat game all the time? There might be thousands of cattle around but look in the local Overwaitea and it's Alberta feed-lot beef. It's illegal for a producer to butcher and sell to you without having animals slaughtered and processed in a licensed facility.

Just um...food for thought.
    Last edited by MichelD; 01-04-2022 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    Harry, Congrats on your move, and for having the spine to do what you think is best for you and yours. I grew up where Clearwater was the second closest town (to the distant northwest) so I might have a bit of a love for that country.

We lived far, far more remote, no BC hydro or real telephone for the first 6 years out there. I may have listened to my dad get directions from the doctor over the radio telephone on how to set my dislocated thumb (which worked BTW) , and may have lived through all sorts of experiences that most here probably would never believe.

I wouldn’t trade those years for anything. I especially miss the good fishing.
    Thanks man.....

i guess now we will see a increase in the wildlife population around here now
    that youve move on. lol
    looking forwards to some new photos and scenery from your new home.
    best to you harry

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I hear ya. The one thing I will never forget was when I was on a job in port renfrew and saw an 8 year old smoking dope. I saw marijuana baggies pinned to the side of the church. Ive worked and lived in many small towns of this province and the states. When there is nothing to do people will drink or do drugs. I also remember how many wifes and husbands were cheating on each other. I had a cabin/house in a small community and the local gossip was brutal, no thanks. Moving to a small city I understand but moving to a 2 horse town is a no go. You can only fish and hunt so much.
    It is a fear of mine as well about the drugs etc, but those things are in every town..I think if you raise them right, and lol help them to not get bored, you stand a good chance they'll avoid them, for the most part...most kids try weed, drink of course ,and maybe try a few other substances, the key IMO is teaching them self control, which leads to moderation, and teaching them to stand up to peer pressure..