Thread: Prescribed burns

Prescribed burns

The most recent BCWF webinar dealt with wildfires, and something that came out of it (among a lot of other good stuff) was the question of "When do you want your smoke?"

We're going to have fires, but there's a belief that we can reduce the negative impacts and create some positives with prescribed burns.

But the smoke! The Smokanagan is a real thing. There are people who oppose prescribed burns because they don't want smoke. The real question is: Since you're going get fires and smoke anyway, when do you want your smoke?

BCWF is pro-prescribed burns, which is why I'm posting this in the BCWF forum. Penticton news story from today, December 20, 2021.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/when-do-...season/it87779
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Prescribed burns

So do you want your smoke served under somewhat "controlled" conditions for a couple of weeks in the early spring? Or, would you rather we let wildfires blanket your trendy Kitsalano neighbourhood in it all summer as your summer house in the OK is burned to the ground in late July?

Smoke is going to be served either way. It's you choice on how it's served...whiners.

Not a true narrative..we will still have months of smoke during dry hot summers. Tell the truth! We may be able to protect infrastructure and improve wildlife habitat. But it is still going to burn when conditions insist.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I get the thinking behind it. So we would go from 2-3 months of smoke to 5 or 6 months of smoke. Maybe the government can tax that too
    BCWF
    CCFR
    CSSA

Public hanging need to be brought back, starting with the biggest criminals in this country, the politicians.

The open burning smoke regs are a complete disaster. When I did fuel treatments around communities, 95% would be on board but occasionally one or two people would raise a stink and cause issues. We were always very vigilant about venting and wind direction but any smoke at all would be a reason for them to complain. This would be discussed at community meetings with the mayor, council and fire department onboard and community buy in but it’s incredible what a few people can do to sideline protecting their town from fire. They just couldn’t see the big picture. I hope the last year has opened their eyes. Controlled burning or prescribed burns are always a better option than a lost town. Not that they are a guarantee but they help reduce the risk.

You would hope that folks now understand the rationale to do a prescribed burn.
    And yes, they were certainly against it as big fires weren't a common thing, at least not like now.
    Even early October, I come across folks burning debris thru say Salmon Arm country, and yes, even those small fires can hang in
    there.

I am not a up country resident, but usually come November, we tend to get high winds, down in the LM.
    I would think when you have those type of conditions that "blow the smoke out" rather than "hang in the valley" would
    be better suited times?

Not sure if higher winds would make it impossible to do these burns however?

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Not a true narrative..we will still have months of smoke during dry hot summers. Tell the truth! We may be able to protect infrastructure and improve wildlife habitat. But it is still going to burn when conditions insist.
    True. There will still be big fires most years even if we prescribe burn. The idea though is that after 15-20 years of heavy prescribed burning there will be fewer larger fires around communities and infrastructure.