Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eve River

Re: Eve River

There is no indication in the BC Backroads map book that the esturary of the Eve River is Indian Reserve.

Here is an update!

After continuous reading and phone calls, it turns out it is indeed an Indian Reserve owned by the Tlowitsis Band. I phoned the band and talked to an elder who confirmed this. I asked about hunting boundaries and he said they are working on them but there are not currently any boundaries to adhere by. I then asked about the person who has built a homestead there, he then told me that the band has not given permission to anyone to build or live there. This man informed me that there has been a multi-band conflict with the rights to the land but the Tlowitsis band owns it and he reiterated that no permission has been granted by them. After a very educational phone call, I then called the Sayward RCMP who told me they would look into the matter. They tried driving out to the cabin but due to the snow, were not able to make it out there. The officer then told me that they would contact the band to further educate themselves on the matter and will try getting back out there when the snow melts. After that call, I then phoned DFO to report an environmental concern on the Eve river riparian zone. The nice lady who took the information said they would be passing the information along to the Campbell River branch and an officer may be calling me for more information, but insisted they would look into it. I left a message with the BC conservation office yesterday and still haven't heard back. I also have not heard back from the mount waddington regional district either.

That is all I have for now, anything further and I shall share!

Quote Originally Posted by BiohazardHands View Post
    Here is an update!

After continuous reading and phone calls, it turns out it is indeed an Indian Reserve owned by the Tlowitsis Band. I phoned the band and talked to an elder who confirmed this. I asked about hunting boundaries and he said they are working on them but there are not currently any boundaries to adhere by. I then asked about the person who has built a homestead there, he then told me that the band has not given permission to anyone to build or live there. This man informed me that there has been a multi-band conflict with the rights to the land but the Tlowitsis band owns it and he reiterated that no permission has been granted by them. After a very educational phone call, I then called the Sayward RCMP who told me they would look into the matter. They tried driving out to the cabin but due to the snow, were not able to make it out there. The officer then told me that they would contact the band to further educate themselves on the matter and will try getting back out there when the snow melts. After that call, I then phoned DFO to report an environmental concern on the Eve river riparian zone. The nice lady who took the information said they would be passing the information along to the Campbell River branch and an officer may be calling me for more information, but insisted they would look into it. I left a message with the BC conservation office yesterday and still haven't heard back. I also have not heard back from the mount waddington regional district either.

That is all I have for now, anything further and I shall share!
    Great work on your part, and thanks for the update. Did the band or RCMP give you any indication or answer as to if you can hunt there right now?

This must be a brand new reserve. It doesn't show up anywhere.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Great work on your part, and thanks for the update. Did the band or RCMP give you any indication or answer as to if you can hunt there right now?
    RCMP says I can as long as I stay the 100m away from the building. The band says I can hunt there as there are no boundaries currently, they just offered a warning as those that are not supposed to be on their land, are not kind people. So I got the thumbs up from the authorities that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BiohazardHands View Post
    RCMP says I can as long as I stay the 100m away from the building. The band says I can hunt there as there are no boundaries currently, they just offered a warning as those that are not supposed to be on their land, are not kind people. So I got the thumbs up from the authorities that matter.
    Thanks for the response. Hope you get out shooting ducks soon.

I don’t believe that it is Indian Reserve land. I do believe that between the various Indian bands in BC they believe they own 100% of the province.

It does sound like the butt-head in the cabin is squatting though so once the authorities confirm he is in fact squatting they should just go in, drag him out, and burn his structure down.