Hello all

I hope someone on here is familiar with the Eve River on Vancouver Island. I have been hunting this system for waterfowl for 3 seasons now and I know of a handful of other people that do as well. Today was the first time I have been there since last season and across the river there is now a brand new cabin that has been built on the tree line of the river bank. We noticed this immediately in the morning but continued on our journey across the estuary and around the corner, well over the 100m of the building as we weren't sure if someone was living there or not. The morning goes by quickly and we are seeing birds when the afternoon arrives and things start to heat up. Upon firing a few rounds we then are alarmed to the sound of someone yelling... we panic and assume someone needs help. We run from the area we are hunting, across the flats to the corner, still hearing this voice yelling. Turns out, it is the person residing in the cabin and they have a megaphone. Upon realizing this person does not need immediate help, we try and figure out what is happening. We yell for them to speak slower so we can understand. they yell "Stop shooting or I will be calling the Campbell River RCMP." I ask who they are and they do not respond. We pack up our things, thinking we are doing something wrong so we check the regs again and nothing new is listed under the area for no shooting or hunting. We kayak down there to inquire with this individual. They then tell us we are poisoning the estuary with our pellets (we were using steel of course) and that we are killing birds we are not eating as they have found a dead loon. I assured them we know our bird species and that it was not us as it was our first day hunting there this year. The individual then goes on to tell us we are on aboriginal land (they named 2 different bands and seem confused as to which one it was.) After continuous yelling at our wrong doings by this person, we tell them to have a nice day and we kayak back to our landing spot to pack up for the day. We zip home and research further and we have not been able to find any new information. I plan to phone conservation tomorrow as well as the rcmp to inquire about this. I was wondering if anybody else has hunted that area this season and had a similar issue? I know of a couple of guys that hunted there 2 weeks ago and they reported zero issues with this person and they were hunting closer to the cabin than we were. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated, even if I was doing something wrong, I would like to know so I can avoid that area completely next time, as maybe we were doing something against regulations.

Thanks.