Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eve River

Eve River

Hello all

I hope someone on here is familiar with the Eve River on Vancouver Island. I have been hunting this system for waterfowl for 3 seasons now and I know of a handful of other people that do as well. Today was the first time I have been there since last season and across the river there is now a brand new cabin that has been built on the tree line of the river bank. We noticed this immediately in the morning but continued on our journey across the estuary and around the corner, well over the 100m of the building as we weren't sure if someone was living there or not. The morning goes by quickly and we are seeing birds when the afternoon arrives and things start to heat up. Upon firing a few rounds we then are alarmed to the sound of someone yelling... we panic and assume someone needs help. We run from the area we are hunting, across the flats to the corner, still hearing this voice yelling. Turns out, it is the person residing in the cabin and they have a megaphone. Upon realizing this person does not need immediate help, we try and figure out what is happening. We yell for them to speak slower so we can understand. they yell "Stop shooting or I will be calling the Campbell River RCMP." I ask who they are and they do not respond. We pack up our things, thinking we are doing something wrong so we check the regs again and nothing new is listed under the area for no shooting or hunting. We kayak down there to inquire with this individual. They then tell us we are poisoning the estuary with our pellets (we were using steel of course) and that we are killing birds we are not eating as they have found a dead loon. I assured them we know our bird species and that it was not us as it was our first day hunting there this year. The individual then goes on to tell us we are on aboriginal land (they named 2 different bands and seem confused as to which one it was.) After continuous yelling at our wrong doings by this person, we tell them to have a nice day and we kayak back to our landing spot to pack up for the day. We zip home and research further and we have not been able to find any new information. I plan to phone conservation tomorrow as well as the rcmp to inquire about this. I was wondering if anybody else has hunted that area this season and had a similar issue? I know of a couple of guys that hunted there 2 weeks ago and they reported zero issues with this person and they were hunting closer to the cabin than we were. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated, even if I was doing something wrong, I would like to know so I can avoid that area completely next time, as maybe we were doing something against regulations.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Eve River

I dont hunt there but there is no new regulations that i can find. Phone the Co's to be sure.

This is likely some cidiot that has moved into any area that has been hunted since the beginning of time. Keep away 100m and go hunting. If they do that again, phone the rcmp your self and report them for interfering with a legal hunt. That usually shuts them up pretty quick.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Is the cabin on private land? I'm not familiar with that area but am curious as to how much private land is nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    Is the cabin on private land? I'm not familiar with that area but am curious as to how much private land is nearby.
    After a quick google map search it says Haylahte Indian Reserve 3.. other than that I am not sure? Are FN able to put up homesteads now?

Edit: upon reading in regulations, I suppose I am supposed to get permission from the band to hunt there. How do I find out if it’s an official reservation that requires such permission as well as find out how far the boundaries stretch?

Edit 2: upon reading the interactive map on the BC Assembly of FN, I see
    no reserve for that area. This is getting confusing.
    Last edited by BiohazardHands; 12-19-2021 at 08:47 PM.

I used to hunt there years ago. There were never any buildings . I would talk with the local RCMP, CO, and any municipal authority in the know. This sounds very much like someone who is apposed to hunting, and is going to make it their mission in life to hassle anyone who hunts. As was stated before, sounds like someone who needs a chat with the police, as they are probably interfering with a legal hunt. I remember years ago a women in cowichan bay used to do something similar. When we were hunting on widgeon island she would yell out her window at us, and when we ignored her, she would hang her stereo speakers out the window of her house and turn on the rock and roll. What she was to stupid to figure out was that it drove the birds on the shoreline towards us. Shot lots of birds off that island. Eventually they ended up shutting down hunting on that side off the island. It would be prudent to nip the problem your having in the bud, before someone sides with this person and closes the area. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I used to hunt there years ago. There were never any buildings . I would talk with the local RCMP, CO, and any municipal authority in the know. This sounds very much like someone who is apposed to hunting, and is going to make it their mission in life to hassle anyone who hunts. As was stated before, sounds like someone who needs a chat with the police, as they are probably interfering with a legal hunt. I remember years ago a women in cowichan bay used to do something similar. When we were hunting on widgeon island she would yell out her window at us, and when we ignored her, she would hang her stereo speakers out the window of her house and turn on the rock and roll. What she was to stupid to figure out was that it drove the birds on the shoreline towards us. Shot lots of birds off that island. Eventually they ended up shutting down hunting on that side off the island. It would be prudent to nip the problem your having in the bud, before someone sides with this person and closes the area. Let us know how it turns out.
    I will be inquiring with them tomorrow and hopefully get some answers.

Quote Originally Posted by BiohazardHands View Post
    I will be inquiring with them tomorrow and hopefully get some answers.
    The municipality , RCMP and /or CO will be able to tell you if your in a no shooting or no hunting area. Be sure to ask, and leave no stone unturned. Get those 3 groups on your side and your good to go. Also, try to take names of those you talk to just in case. Good luck.

Good job calling the CO, that will cover your but. Record your next interaction and be overly polite. Impeding a lawful hunt should be on your minds if he/she starts making ruckus again.

I would guess you have run into a first nations person who is claiming a "traditional" area. May not or may have the backing of their band. I also suspect the CO will tell you to stay clear. This is happening in a few places on the coast and will probably accelerate.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

Sounds like a great spot to go for a shoot. As mentioned, looking online there are no new restrictions so fug’em….

I used to hunt ducks and geese at Kelsey bay and the Eve all the time back in the 90’s to early 2000’s. It was always hit or miss but they were good spots to go and we seldom saw anyone else. You needed some form of boat though so it was always a bit of work.