Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 quarts of turkey.

14 quarts of turkey.

So the wife has been getting turkeys with her Saveon points. Canned up 4 of them. Cut them up almost like you would a chicken, laid them out in a roasting pans except the wings, with diced carrots, celery, onions and all the usual spices. After cooking and cooling we picking the bones clean and some finger licking we put the meat to the fridge wile we made stock. All the drippings, bones, fat, skin, vegetables went in a BIG pot with just enough water to cover it and let simmer for about 12hr then after cooling strained it through a sieve. Diced all the meat and stuffed quart jars and topped them up with stock. 14 quarts of turkey and 14 pints of stock.

We broiler the wings for supper the next day. That’s a lot of eating at a very low cost.
    Nothing like turkey stock to make gravy for french fries.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 14 quarts of turkey.

Helluva of a good home kitchen project. Not overly difficult with great results...delicious.

So many things to be done with the product, I'm partial to stew and dumplings.

The gravy for air fries, tasty and healthy and done in under half an hour. hhhmmm

Nice. We do up 1 or 2 a year just for variety, but just freeze in portion-size zlocks
    We buy from a colony near D Cr.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I made turkey bear european weinners. Never canned turkey yet but its a good idea..i have canned everything else lol. When all the vacinated turn into zombies we will be happy to find canned food for the first winter.

What I like about caned is it costs nothing to store it. And no refrigeration required on them long camping trips. Love them home caned meatball, spaghetti sauce, salsa, fish, hot pickled green beans......when out camping. But yes there’s always turkey in the freezer.

PS haven’t done it in a wile but canned grouse is to kill for.mmmmmmmm
    Last edited by MRP; 12-19-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Couple weeks ago I did a 10 or 12 lb turkey on the BBQ rotisserie, yum. No canning, I was eating turkey for a few days haha. Last dish was turkey fried rice with leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Couple weeks ago I did a 10 or 12 lb turkey on the BBQ rotisserie, yum. No canning, I was eating turkey for a few days haha. Last dish was turkey fried rice with leftovers.
    Never done a turkey on the barbecue before but always wanted to, have done everything but turkey on the rotisserie. After reading your post I have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Yummmmm. I have a turkey deep frier and a propane infrared cooker. Crispy wings and skin my bbq is to small for a rotisserie.

Thinking along the lines of tryin a Beer can Turkey this holiday ..

We usually use our SOM and PC points to buy utility grade turkeys at Easter.

I remove the legs, wings and neck for later smoking. I am not a big fan of turkey; working in a fish camp for a summer, we had turkey once a week and I just grew to dislike it. Took a few years to try it again. Smoked legs and wings are now back on the menu!

I bone out the rest and make a bunch of turkey burger, The carcasses got into big pots and get simmered with veggies and spices until the meat falls off. Strain, skim and bag the stock in 4 cups, the meat is frozen and used later.

Turkey burger is used for a lot of things. Next year, I am going to make turkey sausage instead, possibly smoked.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!