Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14 quarts of turkey.

Re: 14 quarts of turkey.

Ya hoping to raise some this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Modeltwelve View Post
    Never done a turkey on the barbecue before but always wanted to, have done everything but turkey on the rotisserie. After reading your post I have to do it.
    Plenty of YouTube tutorials on the subject. It should be a smaller bird, no more than 12 lbs or so. That's about the most weight the average rotisserie can handle. Otherwise not much different than rotisserie chicken. I've had oven & turkey done in one of those deep frying rigs, but the rotisserie has been by far the best. Works best if your BBQ has the indirect burner at the back.

I slid a whole lemon on the rod so it was inside the cavity for cooking. Also loaded the inside up with potatoes, carrot, onion, sage, spices etc. More potatoes & stuff in a drip tray under the bird.
    Last edited by mike31154; 12-20-2021 at 02:17 PM.

I canned a bunch of venison and bear. It's HUGELY popular with my friends. I made a 'bear pie' for Thanksgiving and it was the hit of the dinner.

For grilling turkey you can't beat spatchcocking. Sometimes it's nice to have the whole bird for presentation - but spatchcocking cuts down the cooking time and allows for a much more even cooking. Easier to keep everything moist as well.