Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacks

Backpacks

Ok I have been running a Badlands OX frame and pack for the last couple of years the pack fits me pretty good and comfortable so here is my dilemma the bag itself is only 4400cubic inches so when doing anything longer than a weekend I think its a little small (even for a weekend its pretty tight). I am ready to upgrade to something a little more meant for expadition as I am looking to get out and do more week long backcountry adventures. It would also be nice if the bag could be cinched down to use as a day bag as I am not rich so I am looking for one bag to do it all. Saying all that what do you think is the smallest size pack to use for a 7 to 10 day hunt.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

PS- I have been looking at the Kifaru Fulcrum what do you think.
    Last edited by dru88; 12-19-2021 at 07:45 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpacks

What kind of country are you going to be in. Look at the hiking carts or backpack trailers. Not practical for most places, but where all motor vehicles are restricted it could work. Just throwing it out there. This guy goes in some ruff stuff. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yjNGTLvOoaQ
    Last edited by MRP; 12-19-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I am looking at getting more into the alpine in the coming years started a little this year.

Look at the Kifaru Duplex Lite frame and Dall bag. The bag is large enough for 10 days and one of the lighter options from Kifaru. Compresses well for lesser trips.
    Last edited by Iltasyuko; 01-05-2022 at 07:19 AM.
    The World is run by those that show up.

I have an MR NICE frame with a 7500 bag on it. Can really cinch it down, or haul the kitchen sink. I bought it used, and my only complaint is that it squeaks a bit. I have never felt I needed more room.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Seek Outside Brooks or Saker deserve consideration. The Brooks is the lightest, most comfortable pack I’ve owned. 7400 cu in expanded and cinches down to almost nothing. You can add capacity by using either a top lid or a Merlin. Very versatile pack.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    I am looking at getting more into the alpine in the coming years started a little this year.

Look at Mystery Ranch Marshall bag with the Guide Light Frame, Exo Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900, I own or have owned and used all of these packs and all will do fine for multi day use, most of these have frames that can interchange with smaller bags, bigger bags also have compression systems which work really well for converting to a daypack.

Kifaru makes bomb proof packs as well, Precision Optics sells them as well as Stone Glacier Backpacks.

I use a Guide Light frame with a Cabinet bag for a daypack and the Marshall Bag for multi day use, Great North Precisions sells them.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

One bag and one frame that goes to 10,000+ ci and compresses down to nothing for day hunts, has the ability to suck a heavy load tight against the frame, made bomb proof in the US with the best load hauling frame on the market to serve you the rest of your life? Kifaru Fulcrum.

I like my exo… started with the K2 and have now picked up their K3. I have the day pack bag(1800) and 4800 bag and can interchange them on the same frame depending on my needs… if you are ever out in the Fraser Valley let me know, you can put your hands on it, try it on etc.

They also have great customer service and just do packs and accessories. American made.

https://exomtngear.com/

(Great podcast too)https://exomtngear.com/pages/the-hun...ountry-podcast
    Ridgedale Rod And Gun Club

4400 cubic inch is about 72L ... that should be more than enough for 3-4 days. Maybe the problem is in the way you pack?

What are some of the bulkiest items in it? For example, your sleeping bag. Do you have down or synthetic? Do you have it in a stuff sack or compression sack?