Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stormy day Boundary Bay - high tide, high wind, bad weather - ideal

Stormy day Boundary Bay - high tide, high wind, bad weather - ideal

Everyone must be already busy with holidays because at the foot of 64th street I'm pretty sure me and a buddy were the only ones who had a dandy day activity wise - not so much shooting wise.

This year I've made it a point to really concentrate on analysing weather and conditions before heading out - whereas before I was usually just going out whenever I had time. And so yesterday the rain storm, high winds, rising tide to noon and coldish temperatures made for a day where the birds were active and we had plenty of opportunity and for some shitty shooting and some escapees we should have limited out.

We started tromping in well before dawn feeling lucky we were the only ones parked. Of course marching in we scared up flights of ducks who had been loafing in the ponds well within sight of the dyke. Cheered by the good sign we marked out our positions along the waters edge and threw out a handful of dekes. Really we should have brought more but as it turns out even a handful were successful at bringing in an assortment of birds.

Possibly because we had scared them up before dawn there wasn't much action right at daybreak. Also the wind was slack at first and the horizon started clearing up. However, things started turning for the better due to a combination of factors. First the wind started picking up, the tide rose as expected and the skies darkened. Through the first couple hours scattered showers began stirring up birds on the horizon. Then the local raptor population began their patrols. Hawks, eagles began crossing the foreshore and began rousting up nervous ducks. From previous observation, once it is legal light the local flocks know to keep clear of the foreshore at the foot of 64th but with the timely intercession of raptors and - on one occasion this morning a helicopter - they will move and there is opportunity for them to head back to the foreshore again.

This started happening steadily throughout the morning. The rising tide pushed birds out from the bay, raptors and aircraft disturbed birds from protected areas and the more unwary of them started keying on our handful of decoys. Once we identified where they were more interested, my buddy and I consolidated the decoys and moved closer. As soon as we reset we started seeing singles, doubles and then larger groups giving our set up a look and then after a bit of waiting they began coming in for landings.

Both of us had plenty of crossing shots and while the birds didn't present the best because they were choosing to land on the other side of the decoys, not in the 'pocket' we had imagined, we had to do a bit of leading. But to be perfectly honest, I've yet to get the point of aim correct on a loaner gun I am shooting right now - an SBE3 - and I whiffed more than a couple times on decoying birds that should have been done deals. The Shotkam videos were sobering and slightly shameful. Better shooting too could have stoned three of our shot birds that shrugged off swatting shots and dove - never to surface again despite our attempts at finding them. I also passed up on a plethora of buffies who I let swim around the decoys as they would add life to the set up. My buddy did pop one as part of his take home.

In the end I called it just after noon and probably could have stayed the whole day and maybe scratched out a limit. However, wandering through the muck and getting super stuck one time made one of my wader boots spring a leak and when I stopped feeling my toes in the frozen leg I decided the hunt was over. In the end I brought back three (1 gw teal, mallard hen, wigeon hen) as did my buddy.

Other scouting notes: Pinnies and mallard are to be had if you are patient. There was also a high flying flock of a few dozen snowies. And we were buzzed by a lumbering flight of swans. No sign of Canadas.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stormy day Boundary Bay - high tide, high wind, bad weather - ideal

It is interesting that you’ve had ducks decoying at 64th because I’ve hunted (with my black lab) the foreshore at 72nd extensively (every weekend since the rains washed out the highways), and have noticed these past few weeks that there haven’t been ducks flying in the mornings - no ducks flying = no ducks to pull into the set… no snow geese over my way either.
    There have been some flyers in the evenings though, but mostly at last light as they set up in the grass/ponds.

I’ve tracked my success against weather (specifically cloud height) and tide over the years. Both have an impact, but weather seems to be king.

Also, green wing teal seem to be the dominant bird at 72nd lately.
    I took a fatty gadwall drake a few weeks ago, going to make some duck bacon out of him.
    Last edited by Livewire322; 12-13-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Hunted a buddies corn field in Chilliwack yesterday where we normally limit in a couple hours. Yesterday though, the birds were high flying and not even looking or getting close to check us out. It was weird but could be the wind and flooded areas in Sumas. Tons of swans, golden eagle, couple bald eagles and a hawk that almost flew into the blind (scared the shit out of me!). Had a coyote cross the field but he was out of range and no .223 with us lol.

Anyways, geese open again next weekend so we will get out again. Might hit another field in mission this time as there have been thousands of geese in a buddies field out there the last couple of weeks.

Oh geese .. my dream is to get another Canada just in time for Christmas feast ...!

It was pretty quiet around 64th street yesterday evening. Nothing moving until a few minutes after legal shooting time had ended.

There was someone out there that didn't care about legal shooting times. Around ten shots fired from that individual. I was at a different location on Saturday evening and the same thing happened that evening as well.

I was in a field close to Boundary Bay for the morning and didn't have a single bird drop down for a looky loo. As the tide came in and wind came up, more abandoned the foreshore and headed inland, but not over me.

There were four or five guys on a bump of land really close tothe BB airport and greenhouses, not hiding themselves, walking back and forth talking, and they must have been right above a wet spot attractive to birds because they were shooting all morning. Skybusting too, but with four all blasting at once, they occasionally dropped one.

Can you still hunt down at the end of Smith road at Boundary Bay? I thought all that area was closed now.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Can you still hunt down at the end of Smith road at Boundary Bay? I thought all that area was closed now.
    Just looked the maps over, can’t find a Smith road near BB to tell you one way or another.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

lol me too. Was wondering where this Smith road was. did they rename it to something?

Do any of these birds land or hangout in the fields next to the estuary?