Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Failures to Learn From (Elk)

Re: Failures to Learn From (Elk)

We had a bull come flying into a wallow one time. Totally unprepared, not calling or anything. Just heard thundering hooves coming down the trail. Dove under a young conifer and he came flying in and proceeded to tear the crap out of the ground 15 or so yards away. My partner was 6 or 7 yds from the bull, on the wrong side of a tree. The tree he was behind was between the bull and I. I gave the lightest squeak on a cow call thinking he may turn and come towards me giving my partner a shot. The bull spun, pinned me, gave that “ oh shit” look and bolted.

If I had a do over I would have had patience and waited him out. If he came my way, partner had a shot, if he went the other way then maybe we could have turned him and brought him back with a call.

I agree with BMI above, when you. Are a call at close range they immediately know EXACTLY where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    you guys have any experiences with sneaking in while a bull is raking? How much can you push it?

Being within 50yds and standing at the bulls 10-11 o'clock made me stay put and try to move him to a new location.

What would you have done in my situation? sneak in closer or bugle to pull him?
    Use your bugle to find them, use your cow calls to bring them in. Make a call and then move downwind as lots of times they will try to wind you before coming in. And, lots of times you will think they are only 50 yards in, but they are a lot further.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    you guys have any experiences with sneaking in while a bull is raking? How much can you push it?

Being within 50yds and standing at the bulls 10-11 o'clock made me stay put and try to move him to a new location.

What would you have done in my situation? sneak in closer or bugle to pull him?
    Not sure if I fully understand the situation and if you have bush blocking the shot other than the bush he might be raking.
    If is only that bush between him and you, stay put, imo
    You could cow call, but if he is shooter at that point, I would hold off on bugling.
    sometimes less is more, s
    and if you got him in from a distance already, he got that close so far, then just wait,
    He is sometimes just prepping himself to come in closer.
    Sometimes he is just saying don’t come past this line.
    But, some silence can piss them off as well,
    He will be going “ hey, where did everyone go, wait for me” , many times.
    As he thinks you might of left,
    Too much calling can sometimes make them weary.
    But then sometimes you can go bananas and they don’t leave.
    Sorry,I know that seems full of contradictions, but 1 time it goes 1 way and next time it goes completely opposite.
    But, alone, I would wait.
    With a partner I would tell him to stay put and I will walk away and make a little noise will walking and cow calls.
    Maybe 50 yards.

That's pretty awesome I've been hunting elk for 5 years without seeing any except on the hiway home lol and I've been using my year round hunting license too still nothing maybe I only have the moose gift I see lots of them