Thread: Off season diet

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

Off season diet

I’ve been feeding my EP pup mainly Inukshuk 30/25 and occasionally Orijen 38/18 which has been great for his energy levels. Looking for ideas and advice on how to calm him down a notch during the off season especially now it gets dark so early and I can’t run him as much as he needs. Has anyone got suggestions for good quality but lower energy food?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Off season diet

I went to the next level down Inukshuk.

From suggestions on here I discovered Inukshuk. My dog has always been healthy and super energetic. After 1 week on Inukshuk her coat looked even healthier! And, she completely stopped scratching.

But, the short answer is I just went down a level with Inukshuk.

Simply reduce the protein/fat content. Any high end food should have choices.

You didn’t ask but….38% protein is way too hot unless it’s for sled dogs who are running big mileage daily. Very few dogs require that level of protein.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

We don’t change the food (PPP 30/20) simply change the amount being fed in conjunction with the activity level of the dogs - limited training during the winter months vs heavier training during test / trial season and hunting season.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I went to the next level down Inukshuk.

From suggestions on here I discovered Inukshuk. My dog has always been healthy and super energetic. After 1 week on Inukshuk her coat looked even healthier! And, she completely stopped scratching.

But, the short answer is I just went down a level with Inukshuk.
    What were you feeding before Inukshuk? Our puppy is on Orijen, but I've read in a few places that with them you're paying for their good marketing program, not just the product. Haven't heard about Inukshuk until now.

I was feeding the Canadian one that has the big red leaf on the package. It was good and WAYYYY less expensive than the Orijin. That's crazy town.

The problem with lowering the volume is that the damn dog is hungry all the time. I want to give her a little bit of volume so she's not always hunting for food and begging.

I can't say enough about how much I like the Inukshuk. If you buy 2 bags I think shipping is like 20 bucks or something. It's a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    I’ve been feeding my EP pup mainly Inukshuk 30/25 and occasionally Orijen 38/18 which has been great for his energy levels. Looking for ideas and advice on how to calm him down a notch during the off season especially now it gets dark so early and I can’t run him as much as he needs. Has anyone got suggestions for good quality but lower energy food?
    I keep the same food but reduce the amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I was feeding the Canadian one that has the big red leaf on the package. It was good and WAYYYY less expensive than the Orijin. That's crazy town.

The problem with lowering the volume is that the damn dog is hungry all the time. I want to give her a little bit of volume so she's not always hunting for food and begging.

I can't say enough about how much I like the Inukshuk. If you buy 2 bags I think shipping is like 20 bucks or something. It's a good deal.
    Good to know. Thanks