Thread: Widgeons come to mallard calls?

Widgeons come to mallard calls?

Saw a couple high flying ducks today and despite my usual lack of success calling, using a Buck Gardner Double Nasty, a couple of widgeons circled around several times and then came right into the decoys.

Then as they came in for a landing with cupped wings, applying my carefully learned and finely tuned conservation skills I managed to miss them with all three shots.

I was surprised the way they responded to the mallard call.

I've got numerous other calls,like a vintage P.S. Olt, a Haydel DR 85, a Primos Original Wench and an expensive Troy Talker acrylic, but whenever I've had success, it is with that Double Nasty.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Widgeons come to mallard calls?

I used lots of different duck calls brands over close to half century and I found the Double Nasty is best call I ever used. Its relatively inexpensive compare to $150.00 duck calls.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Over 50 years of waterfowl hunting, yes Widge will come to the mallard calls, Hook line n sinker.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Then as they came in for a landing with cupped wings, applying my carefully learned and finely tuned conservation skills I managed to miss them with all three shots.
    Haha been there. I went out today at Boundary hoping to get some nice hits on the Shotkam. While I came back with two ducks, there were some doozy misses. One of the ducks I brought home I shot at three times, it tried to land on another hunter's mojo, he missed, it pinballed to the next hunter who also missed and the poor thing turned back to me and I finally got it with a fourth shell. I told my wife I stoned it with one shot.
    Last edited by silveragent; 12-05-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Mustin being a widgeon committing suicide.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

All puddle ducks will respond to a mallard call. They are really the only really vocal bird other then a few tweets from widgeons, pintails.

As far as calling goes its the Indian not the arrow. A good caller can make any call sound good although higher end calls, 100% sound more ducky in a proficient callers hands then the poly ones you mentioned. Listen to actual ducks, watch you tube videos and be honest with your self if you think you really sound like a duck. Invest in a good call ( there are millions out there) in acrylic. It makes a huge difference as the season progresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.