Thread: Emergency rations

Emergency rations

I watched this video on YouTube recently about some of the simple recipes the Germans used for the blitzkrieg and thought I’d give it a go as maybe something to throw in my pack as an alternative to freeze dried or dehydrated meals. This recipe is basically dehydrated pea soup. You fry some onions, bacon and desired seasoning together until the liquid parts are all gone and then add powdered peas until it makes a paste. When you want to eat it you just add water. That’s what I remembered anyways and my first batch didn’t work out so maybe I missed something. I’m going to watch the video and try again, but I think I need to grind up the peas into a finer consistency and I’m going to save some more bacon grease to add into the mixture.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Emergency rations

It's funny, I've been thinking about dehydrating some pees, carrots and onions and other things for long term storage and to use when out hunting.
    I'm going to change my hunting rituals next year.

There is a good channel on youtube called Townsend and son.
    They have videos from the 18 century ways of preserving food.
    One interesting thing that I have not tried is to make portable soup.
    Basically reduced beef stock down to leather. Apparently it holds very well.

I'd like to have some dehydrated veggies, some bullion cubes and jerky meat and cured pork for mountain hunting.
    I did my first batch of cured pork.
    It's excellent, little too salty but I will adjust my next recipe for a batch next week.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Re: Emergency rations

Ok, I had a better go at it today. I ground up the peas to a powder and saved the cooked off grease from 2 pounds of bacon. I think I got the texture I’m looking for and it tastes pretty good, just a touch salty.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.