Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Heavier Optics saves you walking' .... Do they? (sheep/goat)

'Heavier Optics saves you walking' .... Do they? (sheep/goat)

the sheep hunting research and education continues....

I have a pretty sweet kowa 663ed that is older, has the fluorite objective and is light, but it lacks the FOV and the brightness at 60x that the newer spotters give you.
    I am leaning towards a new spotter in the 77 or 85/88 objective range.

Curious to have all of your opinions:
    1. I feel like either you have a higher power, larger objective (65-85mm) spotter paired with a lower power pair of binos (8x/10x) or a a higher power set of binos (12x/15x) paired with a smaller, lighter spotter (50-55 objective).
    2. Does Item 1 even matter, should I just go with a larger spotter and deal with the weight b/c it will save me a lot of walking...

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 'Heavier Optics saves you walking' .... Do they? (sheep/goat)

I started a couple years with a 50mm Bushnell Trophy, then a couple years with a Pentax PFed 65mm, then many years with a Kowa Prominar 663 (great scope), now I’ve been using a Kowa Prominar 773 for the last 3-4 years. My binos have been 10x, 8.5x and currently 8x.
    I’ve killed sheep using all of those spotting scopes but I wouldn’t want to take a step back from the 77mm. I think I’ve reached my limit for performance vs weight to carry. I’m sure an 88mm would be awesome but I don’t want to add any more weight so I don’t even want to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I started a couple years with a 50mm Bushnell Trophy, then a couple years with a Pentax PFed 65mm, then many years with a Kowa Prominar 663 (great scope), now I’ve been using a Kowa Prominar 773 for the last 3-4 years. My binos have been 10x, 8.5x and currently 8x.
    I’ve killed sheep using all of those spotting scopes but I wouldn’t want to take a step back from the 77mm. I think I’ve reached my limit for performance vs weight to carry. I’m sure an 88mm would be awesome but I don’t want to add any more weight so I don’t even want to try one.
    Good to hear that they 77 was a worthy upgrade.

I had ordered the 65atx but it was marginally better than my 663 so I am sending it back. The 85atx is damn heavy and I think I'd prefer the 883 over the 85atx but that's bringing me to the 773, like you.

A couple years ago a friend of mine was considering getting something different than his swaro 65mm, I can’t remember which model.
    We took my Kowa 773, his Swaro 65, borrowed a new swaro 65mm, borrowed a used swaro 80mm and compared all of them side by side for an afternoon.
    We both preferred the 773 over all of them. The new 65mm swaro was the closest. I’m sure a new model of the swaro 80mm and up would have been great as well.

I think the only thing that’ll touch the 88mm Kowa Prominar with flourtite crystal lenses, is the Swaro 95mm. I know guys that love the Swaro 95mm for sheep hunting.

10x42 binos and a 65mm leica is good enough for me.

I got to compare a kowa (not sure which one, 773 I believe) to my ats 65 last summer, I could see the difference, plus liked the kowa focus better. Any advantage, is an advantage.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

When it comes to Sheep hunting I would say take higher power and bigger objective if you don't mind packing it, on our fly in the area was so vast that 10X Leica binoculars were definitely not enough for most of the glassing, I will take some 15x56 next time in there and use them on a tripod, I use a Leica 25-50x65 spotter and also have the 1.8 Doubler = up to 90X which I used a lot, I guess in the end you have to decide what's needed for the area your hunting.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    When it comes to Sheep hunting I would say take higher power and bigger objective if you don't mind packing it, on our fly in the area was so vast that 10X Leica binoculars were definitely not enough for most of the glassing, I will take some 15x56 next time in there and use them on a tripod, I use a Leica 25-50x65 spotter and also have the 1.8 Doubler = up to 90X which I used a lot, I guess in the end you have to decide what's needed for the area your hunting.
    I’ve considered getting one for my Kowa 773 but haven’t gone through with it yet. So far I haven’t decided if it would be useful to justify the money and weight. They’re definitely not cheap. Do you find it worth the money and weight?

I am wondering when a mix of electronic processing and fine optics will come into effect for this sort of use where the scope/camera is linked to a handheld viewing screen. Satellites can now read the news from a magazine being read by a man sitting on a bench in Central Park and computing power combined with light weight optics may be possible to increase resolution and reduce weight...
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should