Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Heavier Optics saves you walking' .... Do they? (sheep/goat)

Re: 'Heavier Optics saves you walking' .... Do they? (sheep/goat)

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    I started a couple years with a 50mm Bushnell Trophy, then a couple years with a Pentax PFed 65mm, then many years with a Kowa Prominar 663 (great scope), now I’ve been using a Kowa Prominar 773 for the last 3-4 years. My binos have been 10x, 8.5x and currently 8x.
    I’ve killed sheep using all of those spotting scopes but I wouldn’t want to take a step back from the 77mm. I think I’ve reached my limit for performance vs weight to carry. I’m sure an 88mm would be awesome but I don’t want to add any more weight so I don’t even want to try one.

How do you find the brightness at max magnification?

I have a vortex razor 65mm and max magnification (48x) brightness is not that great. The exit pupil is just so tiny at that magnification. I checked out a Swarovski 65mm and found it a bit too dim as well at 50x or higher.

Curious if you saw a noticeable improvement with the 77mm

Here is my comparison of the kowa 663ed vs the swaro sts65

https://imgur.com/a/bmc5TqB
    Last edited by dapesche; 12-04-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Here is my comparison of the kowa 663ed vs the swaro sts65

https://imgur.com/a/bmc5TqB

The contrast and edge brightness appears MUCH higher on the Kowa.

However, the Swaro seems to retain maybe more sharpness? Look at the fence pickets against the white car near the rear door. Interesting.

Did you take pictures with a phone? It would be interesting to use a DSLR and set to manual mode so that the aperture, shutter and exposure are locked down and 100% same between pics. This can vary a bit on the phone each picture. However, you are getting pretty consistent results.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 12-04-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The contrast and edge brightness appears MUCH higher on the Kowa.

However, the Swaro seems to retain maybe more sharpness? Look at the fence pickets against the white car near the rear door. Interesting.

Did you take pictures with a phone? It would be interesting to use a DSLR and set to manual mode so that the aperture, shutter and exposure are locked down and 100% same between pics. This can vary a bit on the phone each picture. However, you are getting pretty consistent results.
    I set my phone to pro mode.
    All settings the same at each magnification.

I really liked the kowa's contrast.
    If I was trying to age a sheep, I think the kowa would be easier.

Both were good. The swaro cost is damn near 4x higher and that's why I sent it back and why I am focused on a bigger objective.

I think that 663ed is just a sweet unit that most would be happy with. That 50-60x drop off will drive me nuts when I head north.

I got talked into the 80mm swaro when I upgraded 2 years ago, and after hunting with a bunch of guys using the 65mm swaro, and spending a lot of time looking through both, I think at this point I'd damn near trade my 80mm straight across for the 65mm. Probably going to "downsize" soon. The extra size and weight are not worth it for me, the 65's did everything my 80 would in every real life situation we were in.
    For my eyes anyway, my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry14 View Post
    I got talked into the 80mm swaro when I upgraded 2 years ago, and after hunting with a bunch of guys using the 65mm swaro, and spending a lot of time looking through both, I think at this point I'd damn near trade my 80mm straight across for the 65mm. Probably going to "downsize" soon. The extra size and weight are not worth it for me, the 65's did everything my 80 would in every real life situation we were in.
    For my eyes anyway, my $0.02.
    helpful comment.

Like my subject heading says, I am trying to figure out if the extra glass is worth it. If it can save me walking a couple km's in the mtns that's less water, less energy, and less time wasted.
    Having never been up there, I am curious if the bigger objective is a nice to have vs. a need to have. I feel that it is a need to have when hunting sheep to be able to dial in to 60x and not have the drop off in quality.

I am not a big fan of paying a premium for a brand. Like buying a BMW or a mercedes....I am more of a Toyota kind of guy. I feel like Swaro is the BMW and Kowa is the toyota, which is funny b/c it's the same European vs Japanese manufacturer debate.

Have you spoken with Omer about this and got his opinion?

You aren't giving much up in size and weight if you step up to Kowa 773. The 773 is only half an inch longer and roughly half a lb. heavier (if I read it correctly). The 883, roughly another inch and another half lb. beyond the 773. I think the 773 would be a good compromise in performance vs additional bulk. The magnesium body gives the Kowa a great weight advantage over its peers. I think smallfry14's 80 would be about 57oz vs 46 for the 773? If you're anywhere near Cranbrook you're welcome to come and compare my 773 to your current scope.

The gold standard for an optics kit os 10x42 binos and a 20-60x 65 spotter. You’ll find 90% of guys in the mountains with this combo, bigger of either won’t save you any walking you’ll just be carrying more weight. If I were to change either of the two I’d go with 15x56 binos but they’re limited to tripod use only.