Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wolf and Coyote Predator Management Solutions Discussion

Re: Wolf and Coyote Predator Management Solutions Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    The sad part to this conversation is that no one people, regardless of colour, race, religion or creed should have any more right over another. What happened in the past is past. The only reason this belief that we owe our neighbours something is that it is being perpetuated by those making huge dollars off it. Nothing more.

You guys just follow in step with what those who are getting rich from the idea though. Going to be a civil war before it is over IMO.
    When it dawns on the general public and the natives that we are all being played like pawns I think there will be some surprise in most.
    Does that mean ranchers /farmers should have no more rights over others as well.
    I do agree with what happened in the past is the past part.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Does that mean ranchers /farmers should have no more rights over others as well.
    I do agree with what happened in the past is the past part.
    Maybe you could put this in plain English and not cloaked in bs like most of your posts and explain what extra rights I have that I don’t pay for over yours.

Wildlife "management" is a dead end, image tarnishing, pain in the ass, vote losing proposition for government and they'd love to be done with it all. Especially predator control!! The only time they like it is when cancelling some will gain them votes. Wolves and cougars are up next.

I said on here ten years ago that we would be buying our hunting and fishing privilege's from the natives bands, and I was scoffed at and derided as an idiot, because "we will never let that happen!". Well, we are one or two steps away. "Indigenous knowledge" must now be considered on every resource issue. You can't hunt grizzlies, yet the Tahltan can pay band members to shoot wolves, black and grizzly bears year round.

The government would love to hand this whole messy affair over to Indigenous control. That alone would be a vote rich election plank, handing control back to the Stewarts of the land. Every green and anti org going would fight and campaign for it, affectively campaigning for the party that advanced it. Citiots would love it in their naivety.

Let the coastal bands manage salmon. (big win for the federal government too). Let interior bands mange wildlife.

You just have to accept the fact that politicians (as a unit) don't give a shit about wildlife or your connection to it.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

I guess the anti's got the message out for the survey .... 59% of respondents Against predator reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I guess the anti's got the message out for the survey .... 59% of respondents Against predator reduction.
    Your right.
    I wonder if the Ministry ever takes time to take a survey of those at the PHTAT table, and see what the vote is!!!
    These surveys are nothing more than your politicians looking into what will get them "more votes".
    These surveys are not introduced to fix wildlife issues.
    If so, PHTAT would be the only survey needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    And the obvious flip side? Fans of science back management did not get the message out. That is something everyone here exercises control over, and it's something that we have a very bad record on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Your right.
    I wonder if the Ministry ever takes time to take a survey of those at the PHTAT table, and see what the vote is!!!
    These surveys are nothing more than your politicians looking into what will get them "more votes".
    These surveys are not introduced to fix wildlife issues.
    If so, PHTAT would be the only survey needed.
    The ministry knows very well what the opinions at PHTAT are.

Also, the government is very clear that they want to continue culling wolves to save caribou.

These surveys are used to gauge public opinion because public opinion is a gauge of what voters want. We saw that happen with the grizzly hunt. It was politicized and both parties decide to support the ban and ignore science.

There is a solution.

Make sure the message of science based fish, wildlife and habitat management, informed by Indigenous ecological knowledge gets accepted by hunters and anglers and then circulated with non-hunting and non-angling members of the public.

I understand that some readers of this forum are going to have a really tough time choking down the "informed by Indigenous ecological knowledge" part of that. Harvest the Land asked what kind of accommodation I recommend with First Nations in order to accomplish our goals (preserve and restore fish, wildlife and habitat in BC while ensuring access to it for all BCers).

That's one of the accomodations. Choke that phrase down, accept it, start repeating it, and get people you know who don't hunt or fish to but in as well. Then tell your politicians.

And support advocacy groups that are trying to change the conversation about fish, wildlife and habitat in BC or none of it will matter. Two links to check on what BCWF is saying:

Jesse Zeman, Executive Director of BCWF, on the Mike Smythe show:

https://omny.fm/shows/mike-smyth/full-show-winter-safety-cold-weather-driving-turke?t=27m

Jesse Zeman, Executive Director of the BCWF in the Vancouver Sun:

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-...ace-extinction

To paraphrase Al Martin when he was the driving force behind BCWF's town halls during the G-bear debate in the run up to the 2017 election: your politicians don't do what you want because they don't even know you exist. You need to educate them and let them know how many of you there are.

We're making progress but we need more people pulling on the same rope and in the same direction.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

And Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum, especially to the guys behind the scenes who kick it running! I appreciate it guys.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

This thread is a great read. Helps me realize how complicated this topic is. Thanks everyone for taking the time.