Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blacktails in the rain

Re: Blacktails in the rain

Blacktail hunting in the heavy rain is gets me exited. Find some mature timber in a bit of a draw, get out of the truck and go slow. Usually try to uphill so returning is easy.
    Oh yeah, I always bring a dry set of cloths for the drive home.

Blinds have limited vision, you don’t need camo either you just need the wind in your favour and a good vantage point and or hiding spot.. Use the trees and bush as cover as you move along it just takes practice...

Quote Originally Posted by N¡ck View Post
    I've only ever used blinds for waterfowl. I can last a few hours before I start going a bit crazy. A flask of whiskey helps 
    Wonder if it's a good tactic for blacktail.
    Can be. I think still hunting is the best way to go, but sometimes when its 2C and coming down like a hose, sitting in one spot with limited view can seem like a good alternative. When I'm getting soaked and cold it makes me a little more fidgety wanting to move faster and such, not good. You can definitely tag BT's from a blind, can't count all the bucks that cruised passed blind cams while I wasn't in the blind over the years

I have tried for many years to still hunt blacktails in the timber but they have almost always defied me. Years ago I had 10 acres on a coastal island and about this time of year in howling wind and rain I would walk into my back end and then over into a grove of big virgin cedars and the deer would be hiding out there. My daughter (now 45) says one of her earliest memories is looking out the window of her little room I built onto our cabin to see me coming home with a buck slung over my back.

Fast forward to the last couple of years. I've been watching a well used trail from a rough ground blind I made of branches and blowdown limbs with my back against a tree and one morning over several hours last year I saw 12 does come along and this year saw seven deer over five hours.

What I noticed was that they are incredibly cagey and cautious. The does are often in groups and led by the oldest biggest one and she leads by looking around, taking a step, stopping, looking around, standing completely still for sometimes several minutes before continuing. And if you have three or four pairs of eyes and ears looking out for movement, that is a lot of scrutiny.

They are always on high alert. All I can say is two things:

1 .I have seen way more deer by sitting in one place than I ever have by walking around and;

2. If you are going to still hunt blacktails in the timber, do what they do. Spend a lot more time looking than you do moving.

I used to hunt 50-100 yards in the timber line of large slashes and walk slow I shot lots this way being