Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

Re: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

Hygiene and snoring = two tents.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Do you have a bivy you use in the cimarron?

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Do you have a bivy you use in the cimarron?
    I do not. Do you consider important?

Typically I toss in a lighter weight 4 man tent footprint
    With some paracord the 4 corners can attach to the staked out cimarron locations. Makes for a good floor to give my pad and clothes a dry spot to rest.

On my first stone hunt with a much smaller tipi we were caught in that huge aug storm in 2019. It rained so much which turned to snow and condensation was high. I have a borah bivy now it’s really light and will keep sleep system together and clean and more water protection. I have not got to try out the new bivy yet but I think it’s just more piece of mind

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I'm tempted to give it a go with the Cimarron and then make a choice after the hunt. I feel like I am splitting hairs at this point and if I have the Cim I might as well give it a go. If it sucks and I want to go sheep hunting again then maybe I'll go with a burly Hilleberg.

I have a big agnes copper spur 2ul that I am sure would be perfect in good weather, and somewhat poor weather. In complete shit weather I might go a little stir crazy if I am stuck in that thing....
    If you have a Cimarron than just take that, don’t buy anything new. How much have you used it before? You should have an idea of what it’s capable of.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I run a borah bivy inside my cimarron. Really light weight quality unit and is hand made in a small shop in USA. Bug and water/condensation protection plus can be used stand alone in a jam.

One thing with a floorless shelter, having the shelter staked down close to the ground will result in a massive increase in condensation.
    Having the top vent and zipper open and a good 4” of air flow under the sides will pretty much completely eliminate all condensation inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    If you have a Cimarron than just take that, don’t buy anything new. How much have you used it before? You should have an idea of what it’s capable of.
    I have used it for a couple seasons now.

Tenting in thick timber of the west koots looks a lot different than northern bc from what I can tell.
    That's why I wanted to get some experienced Northern hunter's opinions on their experiences.

I have a Cimarron Light that I use for elk and Bear hunting but I have reached out to a few pros that really believe in a smaller, lighter weight but bomb proof floored shelter.

Have you gone North with a floorless shelter and regretted it?
    i did a early September goat hunt up the dease highway, took a seek outside tipi and camped up high and on second night snow/wind storm ripped my tipi, my partner and I had to quickly pack up at 4am and head to lower ground more protected. Camped under a tarp in a rock outcropping for 4 more nights in the wind and rain. I didn’t regret taking the floor less but gotta know the better places to use it. I used tyvek for a ground cloth and it worked fine! (Just so you know seek did warranty and replace my tipi, great service and warranty)
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'

Quote Originally Posted by BrookTrout View Post
    i did a early September goat hunt up the dease highway, took a seek outside tipi and camped up high and on second night snow/wind storm ripped my tipi, my partner and I had to quickly pack up at 4am and head to lower ground more protected. Camped under a tarp in a rock outcropping for 4 more nights in the wind and rain. I didn’t regret taking the floor less but gotta know the better places to use it. I used tyvek for a ground cloth and it worked fine! (Just so you know seek did warranty and replace my tipi, great service and warranty)
    shit. That's good to know.
    Where did the tipi start to fail? Did it start ripping at a vent or stove pipe?

shit. That's good to know.
    Where did the tipi start to fail? Did it start ripping at a vent or stove pipe?
    it had ripped about a third the way up, was hard to tell afterwards but looks like ripped at the vertical seam and then turned 90 degrees and across to the next seam. Nothing was touching in that area as it was about two feet up the wall. So don’t know how it happened but the wind was also blowing so bad I was sitting up holding the pole so it wouldn’t snap haha I’m not here to bash the tipi but just letting you know a better cover area would be best for em. I’ll use my new one on the mountain but out of the wind. I did have a lot of condensation the first two nights, but it rained from the moment we got on top and snowed the next day so we didn’t have any dry ground. That doesn’t help with condensation.
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'