Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

Re: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

A true 2 man tent is very tight for two guys. My brother and I started out almost 20 years ago using a 3 season 2 man Sierra Design tent, but it was actually a little wider than a true two man. In 2008 we bought a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and in 2009 a floorless tipi with titanium stove and we’ve used both lots.

The tipi/stove combo is a little lighter than the Nallo 3 GT, has plenty of room for two guys with gear, and heat if you’re in the right terrain. I have no problem with floorless but the footprint is big and a single wall comes with some condensation.

The Hilleberg has proven incredibly sturdy and I actually don’t trust anything less robust for a sheep hunt anymore. Mountain weather can be savage. I think for two guys, the Nallo 3 GT is well worth the extra 11 ounces over the Nallo 2 GT.

A tent comfortable enough for two guys on a long sheep hunt has to have enough room for two guys to sleep, dress, move around a little, and have enough vestibule space for two guys worth of gear. So the foot print is rather big and can be hard to find a spot that works without having to do a bunch of work. This can be a real problem when you’re exhausted and/or trying to set up in bad weather.

I know for some, sharing a tent is social and a big part of the experience. But any time I’ve used a solo tent, the small footprint has made it very easy to find a comfortable spot in all kinds of terrain. I also have a Hilleberg Akto and I am to the point now that I think two solo tents would be better.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 11-28-2021 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think it depends on who you’re going with and how comfortable you’re going to be sharing a space with that person. I don’t mind staying in my two man msr with my regular partner, but I’m glad I brought my own shelter this year with the backup partner. His hygiene standards were far lower than most. In his words “I like going full caveman when I’m out in the bush”. No toothbrush, baby wipes or deodorant.

Like Danny said. A bombproof freestanding tent is the safest bet, but the teepee is the most comfortable. If you’re staying below the treeline and hiking up every day than a teepee for sure. I’m not sure what msr tent Danny shredded, but Ive had my hubba in some pretty crazy wind and snow and it held up good.
    It was a brand new hubba... I've also had it in some crazy stuff without real issues...was feeling confident in it until we weren't haha

Picked up an Anjan 3GT for this season, and I have to say it has been one of the best purchases I have made. Not cheap, but worth every penny. It is only a yellow label, so the Nallo is the better option when snow is involved. Plenty of room for two, but light enough that I now take it when solo, and leave the Nemo 2person at home.
    Last edited by DStewart; 11-29-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Awesome info. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    A true 2 man tent is very tight for two guys. My brother and I started out almost 20 years ago using a 3 season 2 man Sierra Design tent, but it was actually a little wider than a true two man. In 2008 we bought a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT and in 2009 a floorless tipi with titanium stove and we’ve used both lots.

The tipi/stove combo is a little lighter than the Nallo 3 GT, has plenty of room for two guys with gear, and heat if you’re in the right terrain. I have no problem with floorless but the footprint is big and a single wall comes with some condensation.

The Hilleberg has proven incredibly sturdy and I actually don’t trust anything less robust for a sheep hunt anymore. Mountain weather can be savage. I think for two guys, the Nallo 3 GT is well worth the extra 11 ounces over the Nallo 2 GT.

A tent comfortable enough for two guys on a long sheep hunt has to have enough room for two guys to sleep, dress, move around a little, and have enough vestibule space for two guys worth of gear. So the foot print is rather big and can be hard to find a spot that works without having to do a bunch of work. This can be a real problem when you’re exhausted and/or trying to set up in bad weather.

I know for some, sharing a tent is social and a big part of the experience. But any time I’ve used a solo tent, the small footprint has made it very easy to find a comfortable spot in all kinds of terrain. I also have a Hilleberg Akto and I am to the point now that I think two solo tents would be better.
    So if you were going to take either a tipi without stove (cimarron for me) or a 2/3 man tent for stone sheep in August, which one would you take?

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    So if you were going to take either a tipi without stove (cimarron for me) or a 2/3 man tent for stone sheep in August, which one would you take?
    I’d probably take the cimarron. I have a 3man elixir, 2 man hubba and a cimarron. I bought the Cimarron this spring and haven’t used either msr since. You just have to understand that it doesn’t pitch everywhere. You can’t be wandering around as the suns going down looking for a place to pitch it. The Cimarron is definitely a colder sleep than a 3 season as well and your gear tends to get damp. If it’s raining heavy I’d rather be stuck in a tipi than a dome tent any day. The Cimarron literally sets up in less than 2 minutes if the ground is soft too. I bought a variety of different stakes for mine depending on where I am and some paracord for guying it out.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    For me I’m not too interested in my tipi without the stove. Heat is the big advantage of a tipi in my opinion. So it would be tipi with stove if I knew I was going to be camping lower, but if I’m possibly camping higher with more exposure then I want the Hilleberg. I don’t trust the tipi to withstand the beatings we’ve had in the Hilleberg.

For me I’m not too interested in my tipi without the stove. Heat is the big advantage of a tipi in my opinion. So it would be tipi with stove if I knew I was going to be camping lower, but if I’m possibly camping higher with more exposure then I want the Hilleberg. I don’t trust the tipi to withstand the beatings we’ve had in the Hilleberg.
    This is how I feel as well. They are both good to have and serve a purpose. Right tool for the job kinda thing.

And just to add a little more, I’m thinking more and more that two solo tents for two people would be optimum. Hilleberg Akto is a 4 season tent, and at 3lbs 12oz X 2 of them vs 7lbs 1oz for a Nallo 3 GT, is an 8oz weight gain spread between to guys.

especially when in tight spots for spike camps it might be easier to find 2 single spots than 1 bigger spot...
    And just to add a little more, I’m thinking more and more that two solo tents for two people would be optimum. Hilleberg Akto is a 4 season tent, and at 3lbs 12oz X 2 of them vs 7lbs 1oz for a Nallo 3 GT, is an 8oz weight gain spread between to guys.