Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

Re: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

NMO (Nolan from JOMH) has a black label 1 man hilly tent (the Soulo) and spends a ton of time out there guiding for sheep and hunting winter goats. MSR hubba hubbas work....until they don't lol. NMO told me its hard to beat the "Nallo GT 2". He also told me if he had his money back he would go with the red label because they are still very strong and hold weight. Now just to save some pennies....

I like my own tent on most trips. I have a smaller 2p tent with double vestibules thats perfect for me.

And like what Danny said, if you have a 2 man tent with a vestibule, the weight savings are hard to beat. heading up there with 60-80 lbs of gear, saving 3-6 lbs is a lot.... especially when water is short and you need all the space/weight you can get to lug up 10-14 litres from down low.

I have used a cheaper floorless before on sheep hunt. Lots of floorless shelters are used in Alaska on dall
    sheep hunt.

I’ve run a Cimarron the last three years hunting sheep, both with and without a partner. Absolutely sheds wind better than a dome style aluminum pole tent like a MSR Hubba Hubba. Staked down properly they are pretty solid shelters. Had 80kph winds the one day, no sweat with the Cimarron.
    Had 80kph winds with the Hubba Hubba and it got squashed flat in the night.

Only aspect I may change up with the Cimarron is taking a small mesh bivy in case bugs get really bad and its hot (that was a problem a couple nights this year).

As to set up options, floorless has WAY more places when you start thinking outside the box. Year before last we kicked out a couple of “level” spots to sleep on and set up on a 30% slope, over top of bushes. Wouldn’t have been able to do that with a conventional tent.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    The hilleberg definitely seems well regarded. Not cheap but I am ok to buy once and cry once.

I have a big agnes copper spur ul2 that I bought in the fall but haven't used as I intended to use it for a sheep hunt that didn't happen. Watching some videos on youtube and early snowfalls make me think I may need something a little more burly so that my tent doesn't fail on me.

As nice as the cimarron is, it's tall and I feel that that northern wind whipping it around all night might be a miserable experience vs. a shorter and tougher free standing tent.
    Most of the Hille tents; especially the lighter 2 man's aren't free standing. The tunnel design works really well though. The only time I've wished I had a free standing tent is in deep snow conditions/winter hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    NMO (Nolan from JOMH) has a black label 1 man hilly tent (the Soulo) and spends a ton of time out there guiding for sheep and hunting winter goats. MSR hubba hubbas work....until they don't lol. NMO told me its hard to beat the "Nallo GT 2". He also told me if he had his money back he would go with the red label because they are still very strong and hold weight. Now just to save some pennies....
    That Soulo is pretty sweet, he was ranting and raving about it the whole time we were out a few weeks back. But like he said, hard to beat a red label. That Nallo 2 GT is the same weight as the Soulo, within $100, and going to serve you in all seasons of hunting here in BC plus has a giant vestibule that fits 2 guys gear with ample room to spare
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post

Have you gone North with a floorless shelter and regretted it?
    I've done a lot of alpine hunting for deer, goats and sheep. Never taken tents, just tarps. That said, not to say you shouldn't, take tents.

It can become a seasonal thing, along with terrain, exposure in different environments.

Tents have come a long way , incredible materials now.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

I run a borah bivy inside my cimarron. Really light weight quality unit and is hand made in a small shop in USA. Bug and water/condensation protection plus can be used stand alone in a jam.

when we got stuck in a 36 hour storm in small tent it was like going to jail. Cimarron you can have a buddy in there sit up make coffee play cards !!!

The hilleberg gt have lots of room also so you can move around a bit in bad weather.

Tunnel tents and teepees need to be staked to the ground but freestanding tents have a advantage in some spots.
    Last edited by jac; 11-28-2021 at 05:32 PM.

I think it depends on who you’re going with and how comfortable you’re going to be sharing a space with that person. I don’t mind staying in my two man msr with my regular partner, but I’m glad I brought my own shelter this year with the backup partner. His hygiene standards were far lower than most. In his words “I like going full caveman when I’m out in the bush”. No toothbrush, baby wipes or deodorant.

Like Danny said. A bombproof freestanding tent is the safest bet, but the teepee is the most comfortable. If you’re staying below the treeline and hiking up every day than a teepee for sure. I’m not sure what msr tent Danny shredded, but Ive had my hubba in some pretty crazy wind and snow and it held up good.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    I've done a lot of alpine hunting for deer, goats and sheep. Never taken tents, just tarps. That said, not to say you shouldn't, take tents.

It can become a seasonal thing, along with terrain, exposure in different environments.

Tents have come a long way , incredible materials now.
    That's what I do nowdays as well, but I would never do that on a fly-in or more than a days hike away from "basecamp" aka truck/quad where I leave supplies for a more comfortable stay.

Tarps are great for high country September hunts, but if you're in deep and it starts to rain/snow for days..... you're done for.

I, too, am looking for a new tent and im thinking a 2 person from MSR or something like that.