Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

Hybrid View

BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

Curious to have the opinions from the experienced sheep hunters.

When hunting with a partner, what camp set up have you preferred and why?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC Stone Sheep: one tent (shared) or two?

2 person bomb proof. Make a budget...then double it and you're right where you need to be. Learned this lesson the hard way. Ran a 2 person MSR for 4 years on sheep hunts with no issues until this last year when it got absolutely shredded in a wind storm. Winter purchase is going to be the toughest tent I can find, leaning towards a hilleberg so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    2 person bomb proof. Make a budget...then double it and you're right where you need to be. Learned this lesson the hard way. Ran a 2 person MSR for 4 years on sheep hunts with no issues until this last year when it got absolutely shredded in a wind storm. Winter purchase is going to be the toughest tent I can find, leaning towards a hilleberg so far.
    Danny, were you sharing a tent with your partner? or are you just saying to get a two man tent for one person?

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Danny, were you sharing a tent with your partner? or are you just saying to get a two man tent for one person?
    I share with another guy. I'd much prefer that than being in individual tents...I also have a floorless Cimarron. I like it but would never take it on sheep hunt, you're really limited on where you can safely set it up.

perfect. thanks danny!

I like hilleberg or seek outside. If you are going to be 2 guys in 1 tent get a 3 man tent forsure

seek outside cimarron
    hilleberg nallo or anjan gt

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I like hilleberg or seek outside. If you are going to be 2 guys in 1 tent get a 3 man tent forsure

seek outside cimarron
    hilleberg nallo or anjan gt
    I have a Cimarron Light that I use for elk and Bear hunting but I have reached out to a few pros that really believe in a smaller, lighter weight but bomb proof floored shelter.

Have you gone North with a floorless shelter and regretted it?

I've done a lot of alpine hunting for deer, goats and sheep. Never taken tents, just tarps. That said, not to say you shouldn't, take tents.

It can become a seasonal thing, along with terrain, exposure in different environments.

Tents have come a long way , incredible materials now.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    I've done a lot of alpine hunting for deer, goats and sheep. Never taken tents, just tarps. That said, not to say you shouldn't, take tents.

It can become a seasonal thing, along with terrain, exposure in different environments.

Tents have come a long way , incredible materials now.
    That's what I do nowdays as well, but I would never do that on a fly-in or more than a days hike away from "basecamp" aka truck/quad where I leave supplies for a more comfortable stay.

Tarps are great for high country September hunts, but if you're in deep and it starts to rain/snow for days..... you're done for.

I, too, am looking for a new tent and im thinking a 2 person from MSR or something like that.

I have a Cimarron Light that I use for elk and Bear hunting but I have reached out to a few pros that really believe in a smaller, lighter weight but bomb proof floored shelter.

i did a early September goat hunt up the dease highway, took a seek outside tipi and camped up high and on second night snow/wind storm ripped my tipi, my partner and I had to quickly pack up at 4am and head to lower ground more protected. Camped under a tarp in a rock outcropping for 4 more nights in the wind and rain. I didn’t regret taking the floor less but gotta know the better places to use it. I used tyvek for a ground cloth and it worked fine! (Just so you know seek did warranty and replace my tipi, great service and warranty)
    Shoot em' Whack em' Stack em'