After doing a bunch of research and acquiring all of the gear I thought I needed I headed out for my first ever duck hunt last weekend. It is a day I’ll never forget and really showed how much there is still to learn and figure out.

I rolled into the area around 1pm in the afternoon as it was my first time to the area and I wanted to be able to scope it out, get set up and hint without ruining anyone’s morning shoot. I also don’t have a boat or dog so I needed to make sure I set up somewhere where I could retrieve any ducks with a pair of chest waders. After getting the lay of the land I was in my makeshift blind with 6 mallard decoys out by 2pm. In no time at all ducks were soaring past. I was able to grab their attention with some calls but all of the ducks were very weary and kept flaring or deciding my spread wasn’t for them. What a rush seeing birds change their dorexrion to come scope out the decoys. It was like buck fever I got to experience over and over again. After an hour or so I noticed that a small group of ducks had swam in to the bay I was sitting on and heading straight for my decoys. Once they were within range I stood up and jumped them and took my first mallard drake about 5 feet off the water. I can’t remember the last time excited, I must have looked like a retriever running out of the blind with a huge grin on my face. I can’t wait to get out again this weekend to hone my skills.

I do have a couple of questions though. Based on what I experienced I feel like my cover down low was good enough but the ducks must have been able to see my from the air. How close do you sit to your decoys? My farthest was probably only 15 yards away with the closest being around 5. How are you hiding yourselves to make it difficult to be spotted from above. I was somewhat tucked into a dogwood. The wind was directly at my back with the birds coming in straight at me. Is it better to set up so the birds want to land perpendicular to where you are facing so you aren’t in their direct line of site?

All the advice helps!