Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Will R5 ever have an end to the 10 Day Closure and Concerns about it.

Re: Will R5 ever have an end to the 10 Day Closure and Concerns about it.

gcreek hit the nail on the head , the turn down in ungulate population coincides directly with the wolf population explosion . Ten years ago there were still lots of hunters in region 3 and healthy moose and deer populations . Now there may be a few more hunters but the wolf numbers are way up , I see the tracks literally every day that I hunt once the snow hits the ground and I hunt a large area of region 3 . Until we focus on the real issue numbers will continue to dwindle.

I was looking at what's his name's hunting posts on Youtube and noticed that quite few other B.C. hunters seem to have discovered the user friendly video cameras available these days and are making their own "Hey look at me" Youtube clips. Consequenlty they are stirring up interest from people who want to get started hunting too. I don't blame them, the videos (even though some admitedly record skunk trips) make everything look fun, easy and productive.

I was a newbie once too. We all start somewhere. I still haven't learned much after 52 years of buying licences but I'm either too stubborn or too dim to quit.

I don't know what the motive is, are they cruising for some sponsorship deals? Shockey wannabes? Trying to be helpful? Ego gratification?

I know one guy that has a species specific hunting web site and some videos on YT and he got sponsorship and free stuff from a hunting apparel company.

So all of the above is encouraging more people to get out there. With the technology available to folks these days like hunting apps, ubiquitous 4x4 trucks, quads, GPS, hand held radios and hunting sites, even though there are fewer hunters than back in the day, today's are better equipped and cover more ground than 1966 when Bill and Dave would drive up to Quesnel in their 2-wheel-drive pickup to go moose hunting.
    Last edited by MichelD; 11-27-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    So, you don’t think that we should explore a cap on new hunters?

We agree on the need for more enforcement, but the rest of your post was borderline incoherent with the exception of you calling somebody a moron for ‘blasting’ you because you suggested we should cap the number of new hunters.

Try learning to communicate in English - then come back and chirp me for focusing on a single point from your post.
    You just jumped on the stupidity wagon, you call me incoherent and with a delirium of greatness you accuse me of lack of English, how about idiots like you who don't know simple arithmetic? how many deer correspond to a certain number of hunters in one area? do you know the answer? I tell you what part of the ungulate population corresponds to you, that part is shit. if you don't understand this, in English and you are here just to blast people for a his personal views, you better do it in person, idiot! you think that because you speak English you are better? let's see idiot!

there are legal and illegal hunters like Rob Chipman said, among them there are poachers, some of you will argue that if we are more hunters this will be in our favour, the number of hunters have no effect to convince the government it works against us, is better a documented evidence with a scientific study of the areas affected by logging, cattle and hunting pressure (including legal and illegal hunters and poachers) this study when presented to the government will be of more weight than all your boyfriends together. we have to know what is the real cause in wildlife decline.

I had to explain in detail all this to you just because I see that you have limited understanding.
    Last edited by BlackOwL; 11-27-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    May the 4art be with you

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I was looking at what's his name's hunting posts on Youtube and noticed that quite few other B.C. hunters seem to have discovered the user friendly video cameras available these days and are making their own "Hey look at me" Youtube clips. Consequenlty they are stirring up interest from people who want to get started hunting too. I don't blame them, the videos (even though some admitedly record skunk trips) make everything look fun, easy and productive.

I was a newbie once too. We all start somewhere. I still haven't learned much after 52 years of buying licences but I'm either too stubborn or too dim to quit.

I don't know what the motive is, are they cruising for some sponsorship deals? Shockey wannabes? Trying to be helpful? Ego gratification?

I know one guy that has a species specific hunting web site and some videos on YT and he got spnsorship and free stuff from a hunting apparel company.

So all of the above is encouraging more people to get out there. With the technology available to folks these days like hunting apps, ubiquitous 4x4 trucks, quads, GPS, hand held radios and hunting sites, even though there are fewer hunters than back in the day, today's are better equipped and cover more ground than 1966 when Bill and Dave would drive up to Quesnel in their 2-wheel-drive pickup to go moose hunting.
    Your like me.
    Once I heard from some hunters that a big reason the blame the big influx of hunters was FB/IG/Youtube, I had to go online
    to see for myself.
    Some vides you cant tell exactly the locations.
    But then there are videos you certainly can identify to "look for" on you next outing.
    I remember after the Kelowna Fire, and some hunters posting pics of the Tanks they took.
    Some pics, you knew it was in the fire zone, but no idea exactly where and its a big big area.
    But then the next guy posts a pic with the lake in background and building structures etc on the other side.

I know there is one fellow who does fishing shows, and does a great job, well filmed and edited.
    But I know he gets criticized for "giving up too many locations".
    And now those fishing holes are crowded.
    I know he films at a lake I like going to, and he's filmed there more than once.
    Last thing i need is for the camping to get busier...hard enough to get a campsite!!!!

Social Media certainly can have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by 280 77 View Post
    gcreek hit the nail on the head , the turn down in ungulate population coincides directly with the wolf population explosion . Ten years ago there were still lots of hunters in region 3 and healthy moose and deer populations . Now there may be a few more hunters but the wolf numbers are way up , I see the tracks literally every day that I hunt once the snow hits the ground and I hunt a large area of region 3 . Until we focus on the real issue numbers will continue to dwindle.
    There is pack of wolves in the area, and yes, they never used to exist.
    Dana was complaining that his favorite areas were getting trampled by wolves (just before leaving site) and that it was the
    wolves causing the big issues.
    At that time, we had wolves in our spot, but i wasn't seeing a decline, just not any growth, yet always plenty of yearlings in
    November/Dec.
    So, I had nothing to complain about, but i did say at the time, that 5 years from now I could be.
    Found fresh wolf scat, close to where I think they have a Den, and certainly appeared to be deer hair in the scat.
    BUT, I had a game cam up as well (nothing scientific here folks, just saying!), no feed, just an area i thought might see
    deer "wintering activity".
    I was right, had plenty of deer pics thru all the months into spring. (other creatures like wild horses and even sheep)
    But, no wolves, and I really thought there would be, because i now they patrol right by this spot (they like to make big hunting
    loops)
    Might just mean I wasn't lucky to get any wolf pics, and they were there???
    BUT, I did get something!!
    Right around April and May, I got Cougar and Bear.

And that was it because the bear decided to rearrange my camera and didn't do a good job
    The study seems to be leaning towards Cougar and Bear.
    But then Again, "Scat doesn't Lie".

Quote Originally Posted by 280 77 View Post
    Forgot to add though.
    Wolves do not invite large numbers of hunters however.
    They don't hang small bucks on the meat pole.
    They don't only hunt larger antler bucks in the herd.

So, its more than just wolves in these MU's.....just saying.

There is another undetected problem, Illegal guiding/Illegal outfitters.
    May the 4art be with you

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOwL View Post
    There is another undetected problem, Illegal guiding/Illegal outfitters.
    There is illegal guiding for deer in BC??
    Who would pay for that nowdays?

Look at any outfitters site ... even they don't have any big recent bucks to boast about. All the pics are from 10+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Your like me.
    Once I heard from some hunters that a big reason the blame the big influx of hunters was FB/IG/Youtube, I had to go online
    to see for myself.
    Some vides you cant tell exactly the locations.
    But then there are videos you certainly can identify to "look for" on you next outing.
    I remember after the Kelowna Fire, and some hunters posting pics of the Tanks they took.
    Some pics, you knew it was in the fire zone, but no idea exactly where and its a big big area.
    But then the next guy posts a pic with the lake in background and building structures etc on the other side.

I know there is one fellow who does fishing shows, and does a great job, well filmed and edited.
    But I know he gets criticized for "giving up too many locations".
    And now those fishing holes are crowded.
    I know he films at a lake I like going to, and he's filmed there more than once.
    Last thing i need is for the camping to get busier...hard enough to get a campsite!!!!

Social Media certainly can have an impact.
    Absolutely it has had an impact. There is a reason guys are starting to learn and keep their mouths shut on where they are finding good hunting and lower crowds. It doesn't help when people want to help everyone on sites to get an animal. In theory, it is a nice gesture, but it has had a detrimental affect in those areas. Jelvis put the lower mainland into every decent area in Kamloops and now there has been someone posting areas all over region 5. Call me, call me, call me, call him, call him, call him. This is what I see time and time again. These people don't forget after they get their leh tagged out. They tell their buddies who then tell their buddies and the list goes on and on. The old timers don't understand how many people rely on social media. The days of looking in a mapbook to find an area are on the decline. It is much easier to look on social media. There are certain topics that get 1000-2000+ views regularly on here. People are looking for anywhere that holds animals and people still post and then brag on how they helped parties have successful hunts, over and over again. No doubt, these people are good guys but have no idea the impact of social media.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOwL View Post
    You just jumped on the stupidity wagon, you call me incoherent and with a delirium of greatness you accuse me of lack of English, how about idiots like you who don't know simple arithmetic? how many deer correspond to a certain number of hunters in one area? do you know the answer? I tell you what part of the ungulate population corresponds to you, that part is shit. if you don't understand this, in English and you are here just to blast people for a his personal views, you better do it in person, idiot! you think that because you speak English you are better? let's see idiot!

there are legal and illegal hunters like Rob Chipman said, among them there are poachers, some of you will argue that if we are more hunters this will be in our favour, the number of hunters have no effect to convince the government it works against us, is better a documented evidence with a scientific study of the areas affected by logging, cattle and hunting pressure (including legal and illegal hunters and poachers) this study when presented to the government will be of more weight than all your boyfriends together. we have to know what is the real cause in wildlife decline.

I had to explain in detail all this to you just because I see that you have limited understanding.
    I may jump onto and off of the stupidity wagon from time to time, but, judging by your impressively poor command of the English language, you’ve been driving it for a long time.

If you think that a scientific study (commissioned by what group exactly?) will have any sway on the various levels of government, provincial or federal, you’re living in a state of delirium. The DFO didn’t listen when scientists (their own, I’ll add) warned of the impending extinction of the Thompson steelhead and of salmon stock declines. The NDP cancelled the grizzly hunt and cited that it ‘was no longer in vogue’ as their reason for doing so. And yet, you think that a scientific study, which would likely take a decade or more to complete and publish, will sway decision makers into action? Jeez, and you call me the idiot. A study may be part of the solution, but it is far from panacea. Politicians care about votes. The more hunters there are, the more votes our group will hold, and the more likely politicians are to listen when we speak.

I suggest you take a night-class on communicating in English - it might help you get what few good points you do have across.
    Last edited by Livewire322; 11-27-2021 at 03:16 PM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."