Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Will R5 ever have an end to the 10 Day Closure and Concerns about it.

Re: Will R5 ever have an end to the 10 Day Closure and Concerns about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOwL View Post
    There is another undetected problem, Illegal guiding/Illegal outfitters.
    Yup, I have suspected on the odd occasion seeing former Guides (twice) that used to work for an Outfitter show up with
    what they said were friends, but i suspected they were previous clients.
    The reason the guide would not risk getting in shit was because the territory was no longer owned by the Outfitter they worked
    for.
    The territory was owned by a new Outfitter, and thus the new outfitter wouldn't know they were former guides.
    I know it certainly happens with salmon fishing on the west coast (just don't know if that is illegal?).

One of the complaints i was hearing from one of the long time hunting parties in the area we are hunting is gyus bringing
    friends after they have already had success.
    Example, in October, 2 guys tagged out on 2 MD during any buck.
    Then they were spotted in the same area during 4pt only, with 2 more friends.
    All 4 are packing rifles.
    Sure they will say they have a WT tag (which you wont find in the vicinity they are hunting),
    Bear, Moose tag or that wolves are open.
    But more than likely they are all hunting because there are 2 tags still to be cut.
    That's been going on for years, everywhere you go.
    And legally, unless you catch the guy shooting the 2nd MD, he has not done anything wrong.

But, it is how friends invite friends and invite friends.
    Again, nothing new.

Removing and Entire Region is a bigger issue, imo, as the other stuff has been like that for a long long time.

Just to clear up a few things.
    Hunters have been shooting game that is legal, regardless of size, forever.
    If it is legal, most will harvest it, its what I call the international standard.
    And I have no issue with that!!

It would be nice if more folks practiced "let it go, to let it grow", especially once you hit 4pt season, imo.
    But, i have no right to say that is what people should do.
    I am fine with them taking what is legal, as long as they did it legally and ethically.

The issue here is, that in my opinion, because R5 closed it doors, it brought in at minimum 3x as many hunters then it
    did before.
    So now you have 3x (if not more, as last year i would say 5x as more) practicing the "international standard".
    After 10 years now, it is starting to show.
    The Fires bring extra hunters always, so that never helps.
    The Fires also move deer, so some of the low sightings might be due to this as well as lack of snow.

BUT, Its the local FN bands who are noticing the increased traffic and lower deer right now.
    The Ranches note the lower deer, and the enormous increase in asshats hunting in there.
    And the long timers hunting there have seen a huge increase in hunting pressure and drops in quality.

So, that's the 3 main players all saying the same thing.
    FN want a full out closure until the burnt up landscape recovers at the very least and we can only hope that with those fires
    the habitat will be way better for years to come afterwards?
    The Ranches would certainly welcome the closure, or some sort of reduced season, so as not to have as many hunters causing
    then grief.
    And some hunters want to see the Any Buck removed.

The big reason from all parties is "the increased hunting pressure".
    I don't know what pressure the R3 Regional manager is getting, but i can speculate it isn't good?
    I blame R5 closure for starting it all.
    Other newer factors are certainly now contributing to it.
    A snowball/domino effect, and not for the good.

I feel so FESTIVE, another 3 day vacation on the house!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I feel so FESTIVE, another 3 day vacation on the house!!
    Good call! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 280 77 View Post
    gcreek hit the nail on the head , the turn down in ungulate population coincides directly with the wolf population explosion . Ten years ago there were still lots of hunters in region 3 and healthy moose and deer populations . Now there may be a few more hunters but the wolf numbers are way up , I see the tracks literally every day that I hunt once the snow hits the ground and I hunt a large area of region 3 . Until we focus on the real issue numbers will continue to dwindle.
    The wife just took out a wolf yesterday, one pack now at four and another pack of four is claiming ground at the other end of our place 9 km away. That equals two or three moose a week or the equivalent of.
    Lays will be busy for a bit, we will pay them and everyone benefits and I will still be the a hole rancher.😊

I've only hunted in 5 a couple of times, but spent a lot of time out there, maybe a year of my life total camping, fishing and exploring around as my gfs family had a place out there.

I never could believe the amount of wolves, seeing them in broad daylight completely bold

And no matter where you stop the truck, there are wolf tracks everywhere and for every deer track there are a half a dozen wolf tracks on it.

You know it's bad when you're just road hunting for birds in the middle of the afternoon and see them all over the place, finding dead moose with only the hind legs chewed up, nothing coming back for it. Made me wonder how many moose killed by wolves in 5 actually get eaten by said wolves. Not the majestic creatures we hear about on Discovery or Nat Geo that waste nothing, that's for certain. They have a go at everything, if it goes down while they're in the area cool, but if it's too much effort, seems onto the next and moose and other dies of infection for the birds, bears and bugs. Similar to hunters who shoot at something "felt like a good shot but no blood" and spend maybe an hour tops.

Some mention social media being a pressure factor. I'm sure it is to a degree. I posted up a crayfishing video some years ago that went nuts for whatever reason and half the comments are "where is this exactly". Camping in general has become trendy and there does seem to be way more people out there with the sole purpose of taking selfies, partying with a good back drop and such, asking around to find new spots that still are prestine and not full of garbage. People who put the work in to find places certainly respect them more, in general anyway.

I do enjoy putting together videos to record the memories for myself and share with others. I don't worry about it too much here in R2 with BT hunting where there is virtually zero pressure in the timber. Inspiring others to BT hunt is a motive as they are a niche overlooked and underappreciated species that could use advocates due to habitat loss, whitetail invasion and wolf expansions in some areas.

But this thread is about R5. It's pretty open / easy / flattish terrain to begin with. Add a bunch more roads, burns, beetle kill, things sure do get easier for the wolves, masses of road hunters and "defacto legal" anything-goes hunters and harvests that cannot be accounted for in that area. Some guy posting BT clips in R2 is not a significant cause of the problems in 5 tho and new/more hunters aren't a bad thing.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 11-28-2021 at 05:17 AM.

I agree with what you folks have said regarding YouTube/Instagram hunters doing wonders to increase pressure on areas.

Heck, I’m guilty of doing a little detective work on some videos myself to determine location - and if I can do it, others can too.

I’ve been mentoring a group of four greenhorns this year, and hunting with three more new hunters that have held licenses for a few seasons without much success. All of them comb the web during the week to watch hunting videos, the shared group messages we have are full of big buck photos pulled from Instagram, and MeatEater is the secondary topic of discussion behind weekend plans to find their own bucks… It’d be an over generalization for me to say all young people fit that profile of looking to social media for inspiration/motivation, but it sure seems like those videos are a big motivation for the people in the 20-30 age group that are on the fence about, or just getting into hunting - they might even be the reason these guys finally got into it.
    So, as much as I’d like people to stop ‘doin it for the gram’, I’d rather they keep posting and just do more to obscure their location (mirror images to throw off Google Earth sleuths, and keep tight lipped).
    Last edited by Livewire322; 11-28-2021 at 07:03 AM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

My questions 1) how much mortality is related to hunting? I think I read that it is only 5% of total mortality. If so reducing hunting has little impact 2) What is happening to winter range? This is the key limiting factor and we are losing lots to development.

Quote Originally Posted by dbergen69 View Post
    My questions 1) how much mortality is related to hunting? I think I read that it is only 5% of total mortality. If so reducing hunting has little impact 2) What is happening to winter range? This is the key limiting factor and we are losing lots to development.
    I agree in some areas habitat is an issue. However there is still a huge portion of this province unchanged. The farms and ranches that once had hundreds of deer on fields in the spring and fall now have a few dozen. Our stack yards were once winter feed supplements to 200 moose. Last year we thought 15 at most. Predators and those who want to save them have increased exponentially. Not rocket science.
    Our cow herd’s breed back rate suffers when they are constantly being harassed and no doubt wildlife has the same effect.

Livewire I’m not sure I understand how a person viewing a YouTube video of a persons hunting can tell where the video was shot . I guess if they post what MU they are hunting and show images of tell tale landmarks one could narrow it down . Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    I agree with what you folks have said regarding YouTube/Instagram hunters doing wonders to increase pressure on areas.

Heck, I’m guilty of doing a little detective work on some videos myself to determine location - and if I can do it, others can too.

I’ve been mentoring a group of four greenhorns this year, and hunting with three more new hunters that have held licenses for a few seasons without much success. All of them comb the web during the week to watch hunting videos, the shared group messages we have are full of big buck photos pulled from Instagram, and MeatEater is the secondary topic of discussion behind weekend plans to find their own bucks… It’d be an over generalization for me to say all young people fit that profile of looking to social media for inspiration/motivation, but it sure seems like those videos are a big motivation for the people in the 20-30 age group that are on the fence about, or just getting into hunting - they might even be the reason these guys finally got into it.
    So, as much as I’d like people to stop ‘doin it for the gram’, I’d rather they keep posting and just do more to obscure their location (mirror images to throw off Google Earth sleuths, and keep tight lipped).
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !