View Poll Results: In your experience, what is the hardest part of backcountry hunting?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finding legal animals

10 13.89%
  • Unpredictable weather conditions

16 22.22%
  • Difficult hiking and terrain

9 12.50%
  • Having a strong mental attitude

37 51.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISO: Partners for Mountain Hunting

Re: ISO: Partners for Mountain Hunting

Yes, I started hunting in the prairies. I guess I specified mountain hunting to try and differentiate between road hunting cut blocks & lower elevation stuff near the valley bottoms compared to higher alpine stuff.

Grrrrr and stupidity can get you further into the bush than throwing a kettle bell around all day... but that helps too

Why would you hunt anywhere else than the mountains for as long as conditions permit and animals are in the alpine? I go with a reliable partner and solo. My pack is vintage, my rifle one of the cheapest you can get with a good scope. The most important thing is willpower, perseverance and some fitness. I am in my 50's and will go up high for as long as I can. Common sense and backcountry experience is essential to stay safe though.... I go where no quads can even get up an old spur, thenI bushwhack....

Tyler - I'm in Kamloops and always good to chat. Bighornbob has you covered for bighorns so I can't assist you nearly as much on that front. PM me if you want to talk Stone's sheep and goats. I'm one of those guys that started with jeans and low end gear and no family mountain hunting history or connections . . .
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

I voted "Finding legal animals", not so much because that's hard, but that the other three are, for me at least, neither hard nor easy - they just are.

And yes, I've spotted an animal at last light on day 2 and had to wait 4 days for weather to lift in order to find the same animal again, but terrain, hard hiking and weather are completely out of my control. Second choice (and it's close) is mental attitude.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I sent you a pm as I'm also looking for more fellow sheep and goat hunters I tend to like hunting goats more than sheep but im down for either and I got plenty of gear