View Poll Results: In your experience, what is the hardest part of backcountry hunting?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finding legal animals

10 13.89%
  • Unpredictable weather conditions

16 22.22%
  • Difficult hiking and terrain

9 12.50%
  • Having a strong mental attitude

37 51.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO: Partners for Mountain Hunting

ISO: Partners for Mountain Hunting

Hi everyone,

I am a relatively new hunter (started in 2014) and I want to make the transition into mountain hunting. I believe most things are better when you are surrounded by good people and friends. I am trying to gauge the interest level for a small group (3-5) of guys who would like to get into backcountry mountain hunting (bighorn sheep specifically, but open to all hunts).

Of course, lots of people "want to" but don't put in the time or effort to prepare. I'm looking for people who are...

1.) In good shape (or working towards it). I think it goes without saying this is the first requirement for mountain hunting. Plus, its not safe to put yourself or others at risk if you are a physical liability. You don't have to be an Olympian, but you should be able to hold your own.

2.) Mature. I know many hunters who I wouldn't want to hunt with. Bravado, recklessness, showboating, disregarding safety, and ego driven decisions don't tend to work out well in the long run. My safety is important too so I want to be with people I can trust.

3.) Building a proper kit. I don't expect people to have an entire $4000 kuiu set up, but certain equipment is necessary. I am slowly building my kit (good boots, backpack, rifle, layering system, glass, etc). Working towards building your kit shows some degree of dedication and progress towards your goals.

4.) Willing to put in time and effort to scout and hunt and suffer haha.

A bit about me. I am 31 and married with two kids. Most recently I've worked as a firefighter with BCWS. I am currently in my last year of university. I have a background in distance running and have recently started ultra-marathon running. I started weightlifting two years ago and love it. I wish I had started sooner. I enjoy learning learning about hunting, conservation, and the outdoors in general. I am located in Kamloops and am willing to travel to scout and hunt. I'm also at that point in my life where with my family and school I can't be as spontaneous as before. As such, I'm looking for people who can be responsible and reliable with their commitments.

Again, I am not a professional or seasoned expert. I am a young guy who is looking in good faith for other hunters who aspire to be the best they can be and are looking for a group to join. If you are interested feel free to shoot me a message.

Tyler

2. Site Sponsor

Re: ISO: Partners for Mountain Hunting

it's easier to find a wife than it is to find a reliable hunting partner.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerduce View Post

3.) Building a proper kit. I don't expect people to have an entire $4000 kuiu set up, but certain equipment is necessary. I am slowly building my kit (good boots, backpack, rifle, layering system, glass, etc). Working towards building your kit shows some degree of dedication and progress towards your goals.

Tyler
    Too much emphasis now a days is placed on having the best gear as a prerequisite to hunting sheep. Look at what guys were wearing and using 20 years ago and guys killed stuff.

One thing that hinders a lot of guys now a days is the aspect of not killing a sheep for years. Will your wife still be on board with you spending thousands and being away and not coming home with anything for likely years. One good thing for you is you can do day trips for bighorns to lessen the time away from family.

Not looking for a partner but if you want to BS about sheep and bighorns Im in Kamloops. PM me.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I have one reliable hunting partner. But I found the wife first so you are technically correct haha!

If your focus at present is Bighorns then start out hunting between Lytton and Spences Bridge. You are close by to that area and it will be a good place to start learning about sheep and spotting them. You can day hunt that area for starters or do weekends. As you progress you will quickly discover what gear is important and what gear is not. Hunting thinhorns for the most part requires more planning and prep as you will be further away from your home base and will probably be in the mountains for anywhere from one to three weeks. You sound like you are in good shape and have some experience in the mountains so the transition should be fairly easy for you. Probably your biggest challenge being married with kids, is going to be the time commitment required. I wouldn't go overboard on gear to start out with. Practice as much as you can shooting out to 500 yds at different angles and elevations. Ensure you have great optics, and learn to spot game at short and long distance. Also learn how to identify legal rams and areas they frequent. Read as much as you can about sheep behavior. Big rams usually hang out by themselves or with one or two others. Although the season is now closed , it would be a good time to get over to Spences and spot rams off the highway. They should be right in town or very close. Look at it as a bite of a preview of things to come Good luck.
    Last edited by VLD43; 11-23-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Too much emphasis now a days is placed on having the best gear as a prerequisite to hunting sheep. Look at what guys were wearing and using 20 years ago and guys killed stuff.

One thing that hinders a lot of guys now a days is the aspect of not killing a sheep for years. Will your wife still be on board with you spending thousands and being away and not coming home with anything for likely years. One good thing for you is you can do day trips for bighorns to lessen the time away from family.

Not looking for a partner but if you want to BS about sheep and bighorns Im in Kamloops. PM me.

BHB
    Very true. I see pictures of guys 30 years ago hunting in jeans. I'm sure they would have been more comfortable in what most guys use today but it goes to show you that the gear isn't what makes the hunter.

Thanks for the offer, I'll send a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    If your focus at present is Bighorns then start out hunting between Lytton and Spences Bridge. You are close by to that area and it will be a good place to start learning about sheep and spotting them. You can day hunt that area for starters or do weekends. As you progress you will quickly discover what gear is important and what gear is not. Hunting thinhorns for the most part requires more planning and prep as you will be further away from your home base and will probably be in the mountains for anywhere from one to three weeks. You sound like you are in good shape and have some experience in the mountains so the transition should be fairly easy for you. Probably your biggest challenge being married with kids, is going to be the time commitment required. I wouldn't go overboard on gear to start out with. Practice as much as you can shooting out to 500 yds at different angles and elevations. Ensure you have great optics, and learn to spot game at short and long distance. Good luck.
    Thanks for the great advice VLD43. Bighorns are my current focus. I was actually fighting fire between Lytton and Spences Bridge this summer and ran into a lot of sheep up that way and made me want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I'll second that one!!

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post

BHB
    whoa, that sounds awfully close to trohpy hunting .... and we don't talk about that here!!

lol

Curious. If you hunt in BC it is pretty well all mountain hunting. Did you come from prairies?